Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to request reduction of payment to IRS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taxea View Post
    ...this process takes time .....
    Call the number on his latest letter and explain what you are in the process of doing. They will make a note on his account. taxea

In most cases this is not true. I have gotten I/A's within a half hour over the phone, sometimes two on the same call and I do this several times a week. The same applies to CNC's, except they can take up to 5 days to review.

What is the point of wasting a phone call if he is comlying with the current payment arrangement. This could be the only sticking point in a CNC. Why was he able to make consistent $125 payments? The answer - could be - his cost of medication went up.
    Last edited by ED SMITH; 06-04-2008, 08:20 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

best way to request reduction

My response referred to requesting a reduction in the I/A amount...not setting up an I/A. That apparently has already been done.
      taxea
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

there is another route

that may be possible in this particular situation.

have your client/friend complete the POA for you and have them download and fill out IRS Form 911 (yes, 9-1-1).

This form is used to get the office of the IRS Ombudsman involved "when the wolves are howling at the door".

Your client can list all the "numeric" data required on Form 433F, but can put it in "plain English" to explain the depth of trouble he is currently facing.

If you submit this form, I would also add a statement stating that Form 433F has already been filed on this issue.

PS -- looks like they changed the name of the office from "Taxpayer Ombudsman" to "Taxpayer Advocate Service" in this latest revision.
        Last edited by travis bickle; 06-05-2008, 06:25 AM. Reason: add PS
        Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Good advice

Thanks Travis and all --- much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X