What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

Got a couple with a dependent that has a W2 in 2007. The W2 has no withholding only approx $2K wages. Its not enough wages to generate a stimulus rebate. I was thinking of having the dependent still file a separate tax return but have the couple still claim as a dependent. Then the dependents $2K will not be included in the couples AGI?

Your toughts?

Why even file it? The money would never be included on the parents return unless it had the one of the parents SSN on the W-2.

Comment

Why a return for the dependent?

Got a couple with a dependent that has a W2 in 2007. The W2 has no withholding only approx $2K wages. Its not enough wages to generate a stimulus rebate. I was thinking of having the dependent still file a separate tax return but have the couple still claim as a dependent. Then the dependents $2K will not be included in the couples AGI?
      With only $2K in wages the dependent doesn't seem to have a filing requirement. And with no withholding, why file at all?

The dependent's $2K of wages don't go on the parents' return in any case.

Comment

Was there

withholding for Federal or State Income tax that would be refunded if the dependent files? I personally hate the taxing agencies so much that if the dependent of a client is due even pennies back I will do the returns for free if I have to in order to get them filed. My routine fee for a dependent's return is $26 and that is good for up to two sources of income such as wages from 5 jobs and bank interest.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          Got a couple with a dependent that has a W2 in 2007. The W2 has no withholding only approx $2K wages. Its not enough wages to generate a stimulus rebate. I was thinking of having the dependent still file a separate tax return but have the couple still claim as a dependent. Then the dependents $2K will not be included in the couples AGI?Your toughts?
          Dependent's income is never included on the parents' return, so it would never show up in their AGI.

Comment

I REALLY must be missing something here....

1 - The "dependent" would never get a rebate in the first place, regardless of the income level.
            2 - Include dependent's W2 income in parents' wages???????
            3 - Hopefully, the parents have already claimed the dependent anyway.

The only possible reason I could see to file a tax return, as others have mentioned, is to retrieve any federal and/or state income tax withholding in the presence of an apparent zero taxable income situation.

FE

Comment

Are you thinking

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post

Your toughts?
              about kiddie tax?

Comment

Would $2000 wages cause a state filing requirement?

In California, wages over $3516 will cause the dependent to have a STATE filing requirement for 2007. In some other states, the standard deduction amount could be even less and thus the filing requirement amount could be even less. I don't have the AZ instructions handy.

Comment

I would get some tax training taxea
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X