Hope Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope Credit

Having clients with education credits where the Hope credit provides the larger refund that an adjustment but client wants to e-file now and not wait as the hope credit cannot be e-filed as of yet.Are any of you filing the tution as an adjustment and then amending the return later on to get the hope credit.

You could certainly do that. I have offered that option to clients if they're real anxious for the money, but so far all of them have preferred to just wait til the form is ready so they don't have to pay me twice.

Bill

Comment

I have only had one so far and he decided to wait.

Comment

Waiting

Wish mine would wait but they "heard" that it may be in March before they could e file and wanted to get their refund now.

Comment

E-file for ed credits

TheIRS sent an e-message yesterday that they expect to be able to accept all forms on Feb. 1st.
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Which means if you e-file on Wed 2/1 and accepted before Thurs 2/2 noon, you can have your refund direct deposited by 2/10. My office has about 5 pending to release on Wed am. for the 11:00 am "drain" @ IRS.

Comment

2/1 Drain

I don't have the Quick Alert in front of me but I think it said that the IRS will not be
              accepting the 8863 (and the other forms listed) until AFTER the 11 am drain.

Comment

Originally posted by Donanita
                Having clients with education credits where the Hope credit provides the larger refund that an adjustment but client wants to e-file now and not wait as the hope credit cannot be e-filed as of yet.Are any of you filing the tution as an adjustment and then amending the return later on to get the hope credit.
                Yes, but it's silly to pay for an amendment. And no I won't waive the fee.

Comment

hope credit

we're telling the client if they want the money now they can efile without the credit and we'll prepare and submit the ammended return the same day at a reduced fee (1/2 of normal cost). those who can wait are holding out until Wednesday to see what happens.

Comment

I don't allow anyone to file their return before the first week of February. Sorry, but I have had too many people in the past file in January, and then call the first week of February saying they just received a 1099 from someone they forgot all about. Then I am supposed to feel sorry for them and re-do the return for next to nothing.

No, No, NO. Everyone can just wait until February!

Comment

Working...
                    X