Pick up truck >179

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pick up truck >179

Pickup truck used 100% for business is over 6,000 lbs but under 14,000 lbs appearently is treated the same as an SUV. Am I reading this correctly?

TTB
    "Sport utility vehicles. The maximum cost of a sport utility vehicle
    which may be taken into account under Section 179 is $25,000.
    Sport utility vehicles include vehicles that do not fall under the
    general automobile limitations of IRC Section 280F (loaded gross
    vehicle weight greater than 6,000 pounds) and are rated at no
    more than 14,000 pounds gross vehicle weight."
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

I don't believe

your initial premise is correct.

Page 10-7 of TTB has a paragraph with a bolded title "Sport utility vehicles." In that paragraph it reads, ". . .For this purpose an SUV is defined as any four-wheeled vehicle primarily designed or used to carry passengers over public streets, roads, or highways . . ." [This information from TTB is taken straight from IRS pub 946].

Based on that above definition, I do not see how a pickup truck can be treated the same as an SUV [or, vice versa].

But, what do I know? After all, we are speaking of the "logic" of the tax code.
    Last edited by travis bickle; 05-28-2008, 08:09 AM.
    Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

You need to look at the entire quote from TTB, page 10-7:

Sport utility vehicles. Most sport utility vehicles are rated at
      more than 6,000 pounds and are thus not subject to the Section
      280F yearly depreciation limitations. However, the Section 179 deduction
      for SUVs is limited to $25,000. For this purpose, an SUV is
      defined as any four-wheeled vehicle primarily designed or used
      to carry passengers over public streets, roads, or highways, that is
      not subject to any of the passenger automobile limits under Section
      280F, and that is rated at no more than 14,000 pounds gross
      vehicle weight. The $25,000 limit does not apply to any vehicle:
      • Designed to have a seating capacity of more than nine persons
      behind the driver’s seat,
      • Equipped with a cargo area of at least six feet in interior length
      that is an open area or is designed for use as an open area but is
      enclosed by a cap and is not readily accessible directly from the
      passenger compartment, or
      • That has an integral enclosure, fully enclosing the driver compartment
      and load carrying device, does not have seating rearward of
      the driver’s seat, and has no body section protruding more than
      30 inches ahead of the leading edge of the windshield.
      The point being, under the second bullet, if the cargo bed of the pickup is at least six feet, the pickup truck is not subject to the SUV $25,000 limit for Section 179. If the cargo bed is less than 6 feet, the pickup is treated like an SUV.

Comment

I had looked in SB5-15 and that section mentioned nothing about Pickups. Maybe it should.........
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Boy was I tired,

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
          I had looked in SB5-15 and that section mentioned nothing about Pickups. Maybe it should.........
          whoo.

When I read the original post, I thought that -- somehow or other -- you were making an SUV equal a Pickup Truck, whereas you were only making a comment that the treatment of the pickup and SUV were apparently the same.

Duh.
          Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by travis bickle View Post
            whoo.

When I read the original post, I thought that -- somehow or other -- you were making an SUV equal a Pickup Truck, whereas you were only making a comment that the treatment of the pickup and SUV were apparently the same.

Duh.
            And appearently they are treated the same if the bed is under 6 feet..

Another issue is the 30 inch rule, the last bullet in Brads post? Never considered that one......where is that coming from...I think most pickup truck exceed 30 inches from the windshield forward.....????
            Last edited by BOB W; 05-28-2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Body, not hood.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                And appearently they are treated the same if the bed is under 6 feet..

Another issue is the 30 inch rule, the last bullet in Brads post? Never considered that one......where is that coming from...I think most pickup truck exceed 30 inches from the windshield forward.....????
                Bob, See Pub. 463 page 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene V View Post
                  Bob, See Pub. 463 page 17.
                  Sorry about that, I knew where it came from but 30 inches seems very short for a pickup
                  truck. The hood to the headlights seems like it would be more the 30". Where am I going wrong here?

Comment

Think standard van here..

Short hood on those right?

Comment

Originally posted by outwest View Post
                      Short hood on those right?
                      Yep ... on Van..... Maybe from the list it is ANYONE of those qualities that qualifies??????

Or maybe they are talking about ON TOP of the cab section jutting out over the windshield..????? Must Be....
                      Last edited by BOB W; 05-28-2008, 06:11 PM.

Comment

They are talking about a cargo van or a UPS type truck.

The cargo area is enclosed with the driver compartment...it does not have any seats behind the driver's seat...and no part of the body of the vehicle extends more than 30 inches beyond the windshield.

Congress probably just got done watching an episode of King of Queens when they wrote that rule.

Comment

Working...
                        X