and has not received his refund or any info
    from IRS. He swears it was mailed in.
    Where is my Tax Refund Line has
    a 20 minute wait and they probably won't talk
    to me anywhy.

Do you know of a quick way to find out if IRS
    ever received his return.

Bobby

Try the Practitioneer Line 1-866-860-4259. If you checked the box on the 1040 that allows you to discuss the return with the IRS, it shouldn't be a problem. The wait is usually only a few minutes.

This makes a good argument for E-filing, as you will know within a day and have proof of filing. Mailed in returns can get lost in the system.

Comment

refund

On the IRS website you can check a client's refund if you have some basic info on the client.

Comment

Link

Just to add what Kram mentioned, try this link to "Where's My Refund":

Dennis

Comment

Also, toll-free recorded info will tell you if received or not, 1-800-829-4477, and expected date of refund.

Comment

IRS Received Return

Thanks for the info,
            I have tried all the different places,
            but I receive the We are sorry, we cannot provide any information
            about your return. For more info please continue then they
            give me a phone and extension.

I agree about EF, but he didn't want to and I didn't check
            the box about allowing another person etc., and
            He doesn't speak good English, and has a hard time
            understanding some things.

I guess I will get him over here dial the numbers and check
            Spanish and see what happens.

Comment

Rather than having him sit around in your office, you could try a conference call if your phones have that capability. Just find a time when he's available by phone for an hour or so and tell him you'll be calling later with IRS on the line. Then call IRS & put them on speaker phone so you can do something productive while you're on hold.

When they come on the line, explain that you need to conference the client in on the call in order to get his authorization. I find they are always very patient and are glad to accommodate this sort of situation. Once you get him on the line the IRS person will verify who he is and that he gives his OK for them to speak with you. (assuming his English is good enough to answer their questions) You can then release him form the call and proceed to discuss the matter with IRS.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I bet the IRS is "looking around"

It sounds as if there is a "problem" with the return.

Since it was not (apparently) e-filed....why not?....the client is now at the mercy of the IRS. Assuming the box was checked allowing the IRS to talk to the preparer, this should be a fixable problem. Otherwise, the best to be done is to have the client there and work on a conference call scenario.

IF the IRS can confirm the return was received, (or even if the client can provide proof of mailing), then most likely they are holding the refund for past debts, there is an EITC problem, or ........ the list goes on.

As mentioned by others, the "Where's my refund?" web link is the easiest first step.

FE

Comment

Working...
                X