Computer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer question

I have a new tower coming this week, I currently have two computers using the same internet connection through a router. The question is: would it be possible to plug the old and new computer into the router to transfer files? I think this would be easier than tansfering to and portable hard drive first then to new computer. I think if this is possible I will unplug the DSL line since I'll have to lower my firewall.

I believe the transfer rates are lower on the network (100mps) than it would be doing the transfer to a external hard drive usb (480mps). It depends on how many files you are going to be transferring. If you don't mind waiting you can do as you said with all three hooked up to the router. If the firewall is set right you shouldn't have to turn it off. Would probably be easier though to just turn it off.

Comment

Thanks

I also have a USB transfer cable I forgot about, I think that would probably work too. I really don't have that much stuff to transfer but I get a little picky when I transfer things. I like to check to make sure the files are the same size after they have been moved before I start deleting them off the old computer. I'm sure you can relate. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X