Calling Taxwise and Drake Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Taxwise and Drake Users

I'm down to these 2 programs for my choice of software for 2008.

I've played around with both and would like to pick the brains of some users of these programs?

Drake:

I am so use to form entry that I do have a problem navigating using data entry only. Recently I used the program for the Texas Franchise return for the first time. It took me quite a few jumps back and forth between the view screens and the DE screen to finally get all the required fields filled in (such as answers to y/n questions, initial return etc). Now that I know where to go on the DE screens for the TX Franchise, it's easy but I do a lot of state returns where I just do one or two returns a year - if I had to go through this each time, it would be rather time consuming. My problem was finding the fields in the DE screens - I'm used to a bunny hop and I'm there.

Also is there a good way to balance the Schedule L on corporate returns - I find myself flipping back and forth, back and forth.

Taxwise:

Is this program pretty solid with regard to states? The demo I have doesn't include them.

I was entering a K-1 with sec 179 depreciation -the program wanted me to go through the depn worksheets -is this really necessary?

Is it possible to get a depreciation report by category in Taxwise? How about next year dep'n report?

Thanks all

I'm sure I'll have more questions. I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Carolyn

Taxwise

Originally posted by equinecpa View Post
    I'm down to these 2 programs for my choice of software for 2008.

I've played around with both and would like to pick the brains of some users of these programs?

(snipped.

Taxwise:

Is this program pretty solid with regard to states? The demo I have doesn't include them.

I was entering a K-1 with sec 179 depreciation -the program wanted me to go through the depn worksheets -is this really necessary?

Is it possible to get a depreciation report by category in Taxwise? How about next year dep'n report?

Carolyn
    Extremely solid with state returns. I do as many Georgia returns as Alabama returns, after
    all, most clients here live in AL and work cross the river. Never any trouble with others either,
    viz IL and SC. (Never done a TX income tax return though. (big grin!)
    anyway.

There is an F8 key top of your keyboard and this is used to override any entry which Taxwise
    "demands/recommends" to be linked. I use it all the time. Of course i have my own
    depreciation method, and use a spreadsheet for each asset. Been doing it this way for many
    years, before I ever used Taxwise.

But of ocurse it is possible to get depreciation reports with Taxwise, and it will carry forward
    depreciation from previous year.

Form entry is THE way to go.
    And tell em I sent you! (grin
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I just finished trying out Drake and TaxSlayer Pro. I have been a Taxwise user since the 90s. I also ran into the same thing you described. Takes to long to get around and to whittle down to where you need to go. I just can't get past forms entry myself. TaxSlayer is okay. It seems to be a more interviewer type program. It asks you the questions you need to answer like for EIC. I am use to going to the form and checking the information off.

Taxwise is a really good program. I am going to renew with them again. I just wish they would offer a little more for the price. The tech support is okay. You will have to wait for answer. I haven't had to use them much. The times I had it was eventually worked through.

On the K-1, Section 179 deduction... just force it in like ChEAr$ said. You use the F8 key to override fields. When this first showed up I called the tech support and all they could give me was that I had to re-enter all the assets from the S-Corporation. I tried to explain how much time that would take and what if I did not prepare the return associated with the K-1. They really didn't try to understand. That was about two years ago.

Comment

Drake

I've never done any of the Texas returns that you refer to, so don't know about that.

After spending one year at JH, I went with Drake many years ago. I will agree that probably it would be difficult for someone used to the forms method to change. However, since both were new to me it was no problem.

A few years ago, I thought about and tried out one of the forms programs for about 3 days. I could never get it to do what I wanted and nothing seemed to flow as I expected. So, I knew then that I did not want the forms format, and since I knew the other style, I stayed with it.

Depreciation - If you enter the items onto the screen, you will get a printout of the items and all particulars as to previous depr., 179, current yr. depr., total to date, etc. It will carry forward to the next year. Plus, if you want, it will print out a sheet showing the next year depreciation.

I almost forgot, the support is quick and excellent when I have used it.

States - I do mostly Arkansas and Oklahoma. It does a fine job on them and correctly calculates the other state credit allowed.

Don't know if this helps or not, just my observations. Each person has his/her own likes and dislikes and situations.

LT
        Last edited by thomtax; 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM. Reason: add additional
        Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

I personally find it surprising

that we have such different ideas about how we want software to work. But i't is clear that we do. In contrast there is much less debate as to the best Office Suite or about the preferred Operating System for computers.

Comment

I perfer Drake

I have done both entry methods but have used Drake for about 11 years now and am so pleased!

Support is the best around.

Depreciation is excellent and gives you so much for the input.

I have been able to give my "cheat sheet" to a novice key punch operator and had an excellent and most important of all a correct tax return prepared. Kristy finds it easy to get around in the program.

Never had a price increase. For my $995. (by renewing in May)($1395 if you wait until Jan) I get:
            1040 all forms
            1120 all forms
            1120S all forms
            1065 all forms
            990 all forms
            706 all forms
            All States and all necessary forms for any income tax or income tax related
            Free electronic filing
            RIA on line free
            Drake's write up (which while I do not use gets better each year)
            Live Payroll (everything necessary) which I DO USE and I like.

The Drakes are fine, fair Christian business people that always stand ready to assist you. The year I had cancer and was not sure what would happen when I called in February to renew for that current tax season they allowed me to buy for $995. and to pay in 2 installments. I did not ask they offered.

Don't know how much better it can get.

Also, their conversion program is head and shoulders above most of them out there.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
              Isnipped...

Taxwise is a really good program. I am going to renew with them again. I just wish they would offer a little more for the price. The tech support is okay. You will have to wait for answer. I haven't had to use them much. The times I had it was eventually worked through.

snipped.
              If I choose Taxwise it will be through TRX-they offer it for $699.00 I'm not sure if it's scaled down. I have a demo and it looks like it'll do everything I need it to do. I also have a demo straight from Taxwise - I'll have to compare the two.

Comment

That is a good idea. I think I will give them a call and see if there is a difference in the two.

Comment

You get what you pay for with Drake. It's a good program for easy and average returns. E-filing is flawless. The supporting schedules aren't very professional looking. Customer service is always there. But they're in your face about their right wing values, which is a major turnoff.

Comment

Taxwise for me

I have used TW for about 8 years. I like the program and technical help has always been wonderful. The price is fair as well.

Tax help comes from TTB and message board, but technical help from TW is great.
                    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Drake

I have been a Drake user since the 93 Tax Year when "Best" went belly-up and sold out to Intuit.

Though not completely 100% satisfied with Drake, I haven't been able to find another software that will handle my clients. I do very few simple returns.

Maybe it is the learning curve. As the "cheap" renewal date for Drake is May 31st, I am very busy after tax season during May and don't have the necessary time to check out those other software properly.

I have tried to test them, but as I said, not enough time.

Drake's e-filing is magnificent.

And as another has said, their supporting schedules, and their cover letters, are very unprofessional looking.

Drake appears to rely on their users to test their software early in the tax season instead of their programers testing it. That does cause a problem in January and mid-February if you do a lot of early filers.

But, I will probably renew with Drake again.

Comment

In your face?

Originally posted by JCH View Post
                        But they're in your face about their right wing values, which is a major turnoff.
                        I guess that we have a different perspective. The only thing I have ever gotten was a couple of cards a year, at Christmas and Easter. If I don't want them, I can just toss them.

I personally, in this day and age of political correctness, find it refreshing to see that a company will stand up for something, whether I believe in it or not. There are far too many of them that will tell you what you want to hear, to get your money, and then forget about it, and appear insulted if you ask them about it after they have your money.

Maybe I have just seen too many scams, such as the telephone long distance carriers just tried to pull on me, by flat out lying about who they were with.

LT
                        Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

I have been with Drake for 8 years and agree with thomtax. Drake has NEVER been "in my face" about anything, right left or in the middle. As thomtax said, they do send you a Christmas card and Easter card with a religious message. If that's "in your face", then I guess I don't understand the term "in your face".

The only other thing that I have ever seen that even remotely relates to their religious beliefs is that they are always closed on Sunday so there is no tech support on Sunday. You can stil e-file on Sunday. I don't know whether that is becasue it's all automated or because they have a skeletal crew come in for e-filing purposes. Since I am closed on Sunday, that has never been an issue for me.

One other thing did just now occur to me is that they do monitor their forum bulletin board and do not allow profanity or off color talk. I think that is not uncommon in professional circles.

I would be interested to hear any other specifics of what Drake has done that would be "in your face."
                          Lennox C. (Len) Boush, EA, FNTPI
                          Heritage Income Tax Service, Inc.
                          Portsmouth, VA

Comment

the key is service

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                            That is a good idea. I think I will give them a call and see if there is a difference in the two.
                            How will returns be filed using this TRX outfit? Or are they merely wholesalers and all contact
                            will be WITH Taxwise?
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by lenboush View Post
                              I have been with Drake for 8 years and agree with thomtax. Drake has NEVER been "in my face" about anything, right left or in the middle. As thomtax said, they do send you a Christmas card and Easter card with a religious message. If that's "in your face", then I guess I don't understand the term "in your face".

The only other thing that I have ever seen that even remotely relates to their religious beliefs is that they are always closed on Sunday so there is no tech support on Sunday. You can stil e-file on Sunday. I don't know whether that is becasue it's all automated or because they have a skeletal crew come in for e-filing purposes. Since I am closed on Sunday, that has never been an issue for me.

One other thing did just now occur to me is that they do monitor their forum bulletin board and do not allow profanity or off color talk. I think that is not uncommon in professional circles.

I would be interested to hear any other specifics of what Drake has done that would be "in your face."
                              It is, in my opinion, offensive and presumptuous to impose your personal religious beliefs on other people. Drake doesn't mail out a "holiday" card. They mail a christmas and easter card, which I find personally offensive. I am not a christian, I have asked them to stop sending me these types of cards yet they continue to come, therefore I would call it "in your face." I also think it's a poor business practice. There's my gripe with Drake. I don't want to start a war here, but hope this clarifies my position and we can agree to disagree. Okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X