1120S 100% Shareholder SEP Contribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1120S 100% Shareholder SEP Contribution

I am trying to work through the Deduction Worksheet for Self-Employed on Page 21 of Publication 560, on Step 1 it doesn't have "net profit" for an 1120S, since we filed the 2553 for a disregarded entity, does he default into the Schedule C definition of "net income" and then report the contribution like a partnership through the K-1 of the 1120S.

Of course the client forgot to inform me of this contribution when I prepared the 1120S and his 1040.

Any help would be appreciated......

If he's operating an S corp, then his allowable SEP contribution is calculated based on his salary, not the S-corp net profit.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Disregarded entity?

Also, if S Corp status has been elected, that's not a "disregarded entity." A disregarded entity is a SMLLC whose owner has not chosen to be taxed as a corporation.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

1120s Sep

How can a client NOT inform you of a SEP contribution?
        Wouldn't you come across this when preparing the 1120S and reconciling the net income for year to the AAA account?
        A SEP is strictly an EMPLOYER expense - not an employee deferral.
        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

More to the Story

The client was actually a 51% owner in a partnership which dissolved as of 6/1/07 (which a lawsuit is involved) then we elected to be taxed as an S-Corp as an SMLLC. Based on the fact that the SEP was used with the same EIN number can't I combine the deduction for the P'ship and the S-Corp? The client did not inform me of the SEP until after the tax returns had been filed and the contribution was made, even though I asked about it, probably to try and keep the other partner out of it? So the 1065 & his 1040 will need to be amended?

Thanks for the insight......I should probably withdraw from the engagement?

Comment

If I'm reading this right,

Originally posted by wizbang30 View Post
            The client was actually a 51% owner in a partnership which dissolved as of 6/1/07 (which a lawsuit is involved) then we elected to be taxed as an S-Corp as an SMLLC. Based on the fact that the SEP was used with the same EIN number can't I combine the deduction for the P'ship and the S-Corp? The client did not inform me of the SEP until after the tax returns had been filed and the contribution was made, even though I asked about it, probably to try and keep the other partner out of it? So the 1065 & his 1040 will need to be amended?

Thanks for the insight......I should probably withdraw from the engagement?
            The dissolved partnership is the entity which had the SEP/IRA in place, right?
            Remember, the next business entity, the LLC being taxed as an S corp, must have established
            it's OWN SEP/IRA (with new tax number, goes without saying), and then any contribution would
            be from the corporation based on the salary of your client.

Can of worms.
            good luck!
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
            X