Sect 179 non-lux auto 100% business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sect 179 non-lux auto 100% business?

Upon reading top of page 10-7 of the TTB, my clients non luxury auto (under 6K lbs) should be exempt from any depreciation limitations since the auto was purchased & placed in service at time of purchase (2007) and used 100% for business. Correct?

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Upon reading top of page 10-7 of the TTB, my clients non luxury auto (under 6K lbs) should be exempt from any depreciation limitations since the auto was purchased & placed in service at time of purchase (2007) and used 100% for business. Correct?
    If the unloaded weight on a passenger auto is under 6K, it is subject to IRC 280F.

Comment

My software allows me to...

Either check the box "yes" or "no" regarding "subject to auto limitations" with out changing the "type of vehicle" or any other data. In this case, the vehicle type is a "A-1" auto under 6000 lbs". If I check yes, the entire cost basis ($30800) is sect 179. If I check no only a $3060 deduction is allowed.

Comment

Where do you get that 100% business use escapes the luxury auto limits?

Unless it is a qualified nonpersonal use vehcile.

Comment

Either check the box "yes" or "no" regarding "subject to auto limitations" with out changing the "type of vehicle" or any other data. In this case, the vehicle type is a "A-1" auto under 6000 lbs". If I check yes, the entire cost basis ($30800) is sect 179. If I check no only a $3060 deduction is allowed.
          You need to check "NO" if that gets you 3060.

Comment

The top of page 10-6 of the TTB lists the vehicles not subject to Section 280F and qualified nonpersonal-use vehicles. If your non luxury auto under 6K lbs meets one of these and is used 100% for business, you could deduct the entire purchase price in year one using Section 179.

If your auto under 6K does NOT meet one of the vehicles listed on page 10-6, it is subject to the 280F limits, even if used 100% for business.

Comment

Working...
            X