Stimulus Money and Food Stamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stimulus Money and Food Stamps

I talked to someone online tonight (think they were from Ohio) who indicated that in the month they get their stimulus check they will have to report it and will not get Food Stamps for that month because they will have too much income. Does that strike anyone as accurate? Can anyone tell me whether this rule applies in their state? I would be particularly interested in hearing about Ohio.

I don't know whether it's true or not, but it seems logical and fair to me.
    Surely their local Social Services agency could answer the question with a phone call.

Here's an article on the subject (assuming the auther knows what she's talking about)

Last edited by JohnH; 05-08-2008, 05:48 AM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

If the state takes away the food stamps due to the Stimulus payment, the state may be breaking Federal Law.

From TTB updates:

TheTaxBook is the #1 fast-answer tax publication in America. Our publications provide fast answers to tax questions for tax practitioners!

Federal and state assistance programs. Any credit or refund under Section 6428 shall not be taken into account as income or resources for purposes of determining the eligibility of the individual for any benefits or assistance under any federal program or state or local program financed in whole or in part with federal funds.
      Of course, I suppose if the state doesn't get any Federal money to help pay for the program, then they can do what they want.
      Last edited by Bees Knees; 05-08-2008, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
        If the state takes away the food stamps due to the Stimulus payment, the state may be breaking Federal Law.

From TTB updates:

TheTaxBook is the #1 fast-answer tax publication in America. Our publications provide fast answers to tax questions for tax practitioners!

Of course, I suppose if the state doesn't get any Federal money to help pay for the program, then they can do what they want.
        Bees-

I'm not sure how you find these things. Your research skills are great, I guess I've lost mine and have a very hard time finding answers. I think maybe I need researching CPE.

Comment

There's a dlilemma here. How are you going to know if the CPE on researching is worthwhile?

If you choose the CPE provider by gut instinct or referral, you still won't know if you made a good choice. If you are able to make your choice by researching it, then you obviously don't need it. Maybe the best route would be to identify a good CPE course via researching what's available, but then don't sign up for it.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
            There's a dlilemma here. How are you going to know if the CPE on researching is worthwhile?

If you choose the CPE provider by gut instinct or referral, you still won't know if you made a good choice. If you are able to make your choice by researching it, then you obviously don't need it. Maybe the best route would be to identify a good CPE course via researching what's available, but then don't sign up for it.
            LOL, maybe I should just hire Bees to research it for me.

Comment

From IRS website

Q. Will receiving an economic stimulus payment in any way affect my eligibility for other federal benefits, such as temporary assistance for needy families, food stamps or Social Security? Will it count as income for purposes of my Social Security benefits?

A: No. The stimulus payments will not have any effect on eligibility for federal benefits.
              "And So It Begins!!!"

Comment

The article doesn't directly say it is counted as income, but if held on too long it would be counted as income. but I believe what they meant was that if it was not spent within it would count towards assets. Can't have too many assets and get food stamps.

I applied once when I was a starving student, and my $175 car counted against me. They said I'd have to sell my car. I said if I sell my car, I can't get to work (I got the car because I had been hitchhiking to work, and let my dad know that). Of course, in 1980 $175 bought a lot more car than it does now...LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                  The article doesn't directly say it is counted as income, but if held on too long it would be counted as income. but I believe what they meant was that if it was not spent within it would count towards assets. Can't have too many assets and get food stamps.

I applied once when I was a starving student, and my $175 car counted against me. They said I'd have to sell my car. I said if I sell my car, I can't get to work (I got the car because I had been hitchhiking to work, and let my dad know that). Of course, in 1980 $175 bought a lot more car than it does now...LOL.
                  Yes, I'm sure that's correct. The article was poorly written and should have been clearer.

Comment

Working...
                  X