Power of Attorney Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power of Attorney Question

I have the POA for a young man who is presently deployed for Operation Enduring Freedom. It is a Military POA 3 pages long giving me specific control of all his financial matters i.e. paying bills, bank accounts (open or close and maintain), etc. It also specifically states that I have POA over all his income tax matters.

I am now doing his 2007 tax return (I know he doesn't have to do it now, but it is to his benefit to do so).

My question is .....

1. When doing his Efile should I do Form 8453 with check mark in box for POA Form 2848 and just send a copy of my POA from the Military in its stead.

2. fill out Form 2848 and sign it as POA and send it in along with copy of Military POA and Form 8453

3. Just do Form 8879 and sign his Efile as POA and just keep his Military POA with the records.

Nothing like making a simple thing complicated huh ... LOL

BTW - I do not charge any Military guys ever during their deployment. In the past on their first deployment I paid bills for 3 soldiers who were gone overseas. This is the first time I had the Military POA ... the other times I just had access to their online banking and paid their monthly bills. This is the second deployment for one of the soldiers and he chose to give me complete control of all his financial matters as he put it .. "He wanted to do it legal like"

I also never charge any Military family a fee to do their tax returns during the time that their spouses are in combat (or charge the parent who brings their child's return when he/she is in combat) This is my only way to show them how grateful I am that they are risking their lives so I keep my freedom.

Anyhow … I appreciate your opinion in answering my 3 questions. Thanks so much.
    "And So It Begins!!!"

>>> I also never charge any Military family a fee to do their tax returns during the time that their spouses are in combat (or charge the parent who brings their child's return when he/she is in combat) This is my only way to show them how grateful I am that they are risking their lives so I keep my freedom. <<<<

I wish I knew how to cut & paste a salute on this forum.
    Not to embarrass you, but in your own way you model the definition of a true patriot.

(Sorry I don't know the answers to any of your questions since I don't e-file, but I just had to respond to the other things you said).
    Last edited by JohnH; 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I would do number 3

I would do number 3
      "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

First I salute you

I think that I will from now on do returns for overseas military and their immediate families at no charge.

I have no idea the answer to your question. I think you should at the very least call the IRS Practitioner Priority Line at 866-860-4259. If you really want the skinny and are willing to work for it, talk to someone in Accounting in the Military, preferably the same branch as your client. Ask that they not only tell you the procedure but fax you a signed opinion that includes a cite. You are going above and beyond for a service member overseas so someone in the military who is not overseas will go above and beyond for you. If you need help (as I would) finding such a person I would suggest that you contact a member of your US House or Senate Delegation.

Comment

Found my answer &quot;I Think&quot;

Guess I found my answer.....

Will the IRS accept POAs in other formats?

Form 2848 must be attached as a transmittal form to any non-IRS POA. For more information on the specifics of using a non-IRS POA, refer to page 8 of Publication 947, Practice Before the IRS and Power of Attorney.

I will do form 2848 and efile using form 8453.

Thanks for the suggestion to call the Practioner Priority Service. Don't know why I didn't think of that.
          "And So It Begins!!!"

Comment

Working...
          X