Raising Purebred Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising Purebred Dogs

Hi, I'm working on the 2nd-to-last extension return. The client has started a side business of raising and selling purebred dogs. It seems logical to me that the breeding stock would be depreciable, since breeding cattle, goats, sheep, horses, etc. are. In the past I have used MACRS with a 7-year life, but I'd like to find something to rely on in choosing the method/life. I can't find anything specific in the 4562 instructions or Pub. 167.

Would they be eligible for S179 write off? Again, since farm livestock is, it seems logical that dogs would be as well, but I'd like to see it in writing.

Thanks,
    Linda
    Linda Deckert
    Minot, ND

Had such a client once upon a time

Originally posted by LindaK View Post
    Hi, I'm working on the 2nd-to-last extension return. The client has started a side business of raising and selling purebred dogs. It seems logical to me that the breeding stock would be depreciable, since breeding cattle, goats, sheep, horses, etc. are. In the past I have used MACRS with a 7-year life, but I'd like to find something to rely on in choosing the method/life. I can't find anything specific in the 4562 instructions or Pub. 167.

Would they be eligible for S179 write off? Again, since farm livestock is, it seems logical that dogs would be as well, but I'd like to see it in writing.

Thanks,
    Linda
    and effectively used section 179 in combination with 7 year MACRS as appropriate year to year.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

A few links to earlier post

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate the replies. I did try to find earlier threads, but must not have used the right words.
        Linda Deckert
        Minot, ND

Comment

Working...
        X