No announcement yet.

Need a suggestion....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This post was exacly what I needed to hear. Connie, I feel for you because I had an irate client the last day of tax season. I am sorry for all your losses and illness you had to deal with. That really makes our most stressful time of year worse to deal with.

My client was a new bookkeeping client last year. I had problems all year with them and had tried to handle them gently throughout the year. They were a young couple and trying to get a business going cleaning new construction houses. But of course the market is terrible right now and they were having a hard time. She ended up getting a full time job.

I did put off working on their return because the bookkeeping had been such a hassle all year. They ended up owing money which made them mad. It was self employment tax on her schedule C income before they formed an s corp. I bent over backwards to finish their return and get the 8879 to them to sign so I could efile before the 15th ended. But their fax machine wouldn't print and I couldn't send an attachment in an email to them. I left 3 messages on her cell phone that night and never heard back from her. It has been 2 weeks since tax season ended, NOT one phone call from them. I am ready to put what I have of their in an envelope and send it to them, suggesting that they get someone else to take care of their business. We just are not a good fit.

So all the things that you have been told in this thread I needed to hear too. We do our best. Sometimes we do fall a little short of being as fast as they would like, but if we knew more about these people we would be surprised that others find them a real pain too. So we need to just let it go and move on. I talked to a couple that they worked for briefly and just asked about their attitude about different things. I found out they are a real piece of work.

Thanks everyone for needed encouragement.

Linda F

Comment

Actually,

Originally posted by Connie View Post

...She said she wasn't paying it so I took the billing statement back and tossed it in the trash. She got upset...I would really appreciate your ideas on how to handle this mess at this point. I feel like I really let the situation get way out of control and didn't know how to get her to understand or at least give me some consideration for the circumstances...
      you've already handled it pretty well -- throwing away the bill in front of her was a fairly bold step. I wouldn't send further apologies as it's a sign of weakness to such people. As to the relatives, about half the time you lose them and half the time they know exactly what kind of person she is (she doesn't act that way only with you) and disregard anything she says.

Cases like this make me remember an old story (of course); something an old-time tax preparer did which I've always wanted to do myself, but have never yet summoned up the fortitude to pull off: In '84 I worked for an accountant who, back in the late fifties-early sixties, had been an apprentice in the staid offices of an old-school CPA. I once met his boss (retired by then) -- a big, heavy-set guy (over 6 feet); bald, wearing a scowl and little round, gold-rimmed specs above thin humorless lips. His disapproving inspector's glance fairly radiated a no-nonsense demeanor. All-in-all, a formidable and commanding presence even then.

My employer said he witnessed the following: A dissatisfied, rude, surly client came to their office, threw his 1040 on the desk, and began loudly raving about some unreasonable complaint (like yours, but greatly intensified). His boss simply sat there staring at the man without a word until the rant ended. He then stood up, picked up the return, and tore it in half before the man's eyes. And then said (in these exact words) "Now get your *** out of my office!" That client did -- quickly.

Comment

I am a little confused which is common place this time of year. If the client never mailed in the returns why did you have to do an amended return. Couldn't you just add the W-2 and e-file. It sounds like you efiled original after doing amended? When i have a client like that I try to never get emotional or defensive while they are at my office. As hard as it is sometimes you just need to step back and review the situation. Most times I can see their point of view whether I agree with it or not. That said what you went through durring tax season I'm surprised your not totally drained. Better luck in 2008 season.
        Last edited by Bucky; 05-01-2008, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Family Members

Obviously, your concern extends more toward other family members, who you describe a good clients. Mine would too.

Consider this. Her family probably understands her better than you do, and most likely will not be fazed by this command performance. Remember, she had a different preparer last year, and she didn't like him[her] either. She probably complained to other family members and then they recommended you.

I know some families who will stick up for other family members even when they're wrong. But then they fight like cats and dogs amongst themselves. It's not guaranteed, but my guess is you won't lose these good ones. Remember, in order for this to happen, they would have to find a solution they believe is better than you, and that is not likely if they've been recommending you to others.

I learned a long time ago to tread carefully when a new client comes in and starts complaining about last year's tax preparer. Sometimes they are justified, but quite often their expectations were ridiculous. I've even had a couple of people come to me because they hadn't paid last year's preparer and didn't want to go back to him and pay up.

Another part of your post caught my ear - you have had much tragedy fall your way during this past tax season. Whereas these events are out of your control, your only defense against this is to allow some slack in your schedule. None of us like to do this because we have become accustomed to the break-neck pace for 3 1/2 months, and know if our practice does not make money by April 15th, we don't have much opportunity to make it past then.

Occasionally, there is a funeral for a close family member, and most of my family knows they can't count on me for much help until after the season is over. But I try to make it up if a similar event occurs in the off-season. Also when I was very young and long before I prepared taxes, I had the Hong Kong flu. For those of you who can remember, most of us spent a week or so just lying flat on our backs, and this was my fate as well. If this happened to me nowadays during tax season, I'm not sure I could ever catch up. So I guess no matter how well prepared you think your practice can absorb these things, sometimes it can get so bad you have to just give up and take your lumps.

Comment

Ok

Connie I am sorry for all your losses this tax season. I hope next season will be better for you in terms of your personal life. There will always be difficult clients and one of the joys of being self employed is getting to decide how much abuse we will tolerate. Most people who work for someone else do not have that luxury.

Bart, I am confused. Had the man paid for his return? If so how did the the CPA tear it up without issuing a refund and if not how had the man obtained a copy?

Comment

E C

Originally posted by erchess View Post

Bart, I am confused. Had the man paid for his return? If so how did the the CPA tear it up without issuing a refund and if not how had the man obtained a copy?
              I don't know those things; I was more interested in the exciting parts of the tale, so I didn't ask -- he didn't tell. But, making an educated guess, my employer kept a large accounts receivable. If payment wasn't offered at pickup, he didn't ask for it (he billed on the first -- people seemed to pay better in those days). Since the older CPA taught him the trade, procedures, etc., I'm guessing that was their policy too and so it's likely the client had previously picked up without paying and returned before he got his statement. I'm also assuming the CPA lost his fee (don't know the amount) by giving that guy a piece of his mind. I have at least one client myself for whom it might be worthwhile, whatever the cost.

Comment

Working...
              X