refund request from wrongful spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refund request from wrongful spouse

H & W e-filed MFJ for 2007 returns. H signed Form 8879 for W without her authorization. Then, H deposited a big refund check to his account and cashed, even though their written agreement says that refund money has to go to W. The refund was mostly from W's withholdings. After that, they filed Divorce Agreement.
    What would be the simplest and cost effective way for W to receive the refund money from IRS?

Originally posted by jmc View Post
    H & W e-filed MFJ for 2007 returns. H signed Form 8879 for W without her authorization. Then, H deposited a big refund check to his account and cashed, even though their written agreement says that refund money has to go to W. The refund was mostly from W's withholdings. After that, they filed Divorce Agreement.
    What would be the simplest and cost effective way for W to receive the refund money from IRS?
    IRS is going to walk away from this. Her issue is with her attorney.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

The issue is the H falsified W's signature, which is a criminal act. I don't know what the remedy is, but I would start with the local district attorney, as the same was probably done with the state 8879.

Comment

Bob is right. This is a civil matter not a tax matter. Options are to pursue it in civil court or to hire someone to make him an offor he cannot refuse. See which is the most cost effective.

Comment

Working...
        X