Stock Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Issue

Taxpayer owns stock in a company and company merges with another company. Due to the merge, newly merged company gives taxpayer $20,000 (newly merged company's option; not a chose by taxpayer) and the balance in stock of newly merged company. Would the $20,000 that company paid taxpayer be considered a return of basis? If not, how should it be handled?

What was their basis

In the stock given up? I would think they would have gain to the extent the cash and stock received exceeded the basis of the stock given up.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Cash distribution is probably taxable

Most of the similar cases I've dealt with result in most/all of the cash received being a taxable event, in most cases LTCG. Usually the limitation is the actual cost basis of the underlying (prior) security.

The company should be able to provide you with a worksheet or a copy of the prospectus that lists, at least in general terms, the potential tax effects.

And I'm not sure I know what you mean by "return of basis" ???

FE

Comment

Working...
      X