The High, Holy Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The High, Holy Day

I think that means a special day for a certain religion. For tax folk, that day is today.

There's something magical about April 15th. Maybe because -- for most of us -- it's the end of a long, arduous trek shedding blood (I sure enough got some paper cuts), sweat, and tears. We've battered our way through overwhelming work loads, incomprehensible regulations, baffling problems, unbearable clients, and impossible situations looking for that light at the end of the tunnel and -- lo, behold, and halleluiah -- here it is right now today!

Going somewhere or going nowhere, plans made, plans not made, or (to borrow from a noted poet) day come white or day come black -- it doesn't matter 'cause I'm starting to feel as free as a released bird.

P.S. Please don't break the mood by mentioning those confounded, blankety-blank sales and payroll taxes which are due, repectively, on the 20th and 30th.

Today

is like going to the Dentist. I'll be glad when it's over.

Comment

Dentist...

Don't remind me... with my allergies in full gear (started Sunday), I have a tooth that is painful. Something to do with everything else in my head swelling up is putting pressure on that nerve too. Yuck!

Comment

April 23 is more relevant

Bart: Actually, we should be more concerned with April 23.

That's National Tax Freedom Day, which is the day you begin working for yourself. Everything you've earned up to that point went to pay your Federal, State, and Local taxes. Last year it was April 26, but it moved slightly this year due to the stimulus rebate. So let's celebrate Apr 23, because after that day we are earning income for ourselves rather than to pay for our bloated, wasteful government.

Tax Freedom Day is a concept every American should be aware of, especially when they go to the polls. That's especially true since under some administrations the date has been calculated to be as late as May 10. And if you happen to live in CT, NY, or NJ your local Tax Freedom Day is around May 7 anyhow.

Tax Foundation is the world's leading independent tax policy nonprofit. We lead the tax reform debate toward smarter simpler policy.
        Last edited by JohnH; 04-15-2008, 12:19 PM.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Hi Bart, I feel exactly the same way, started feeling like this yesterday already. At least we will be a little more in control over how many hours we work from now on.

Comment

Agree

Bart, I agree not to remind you of the sales taxes and quarterly taxes which must also be finished before end of month.

Have a nice day!

Comment

Black Bart

just put everything in perspective I think. When one things back a LOOOONG time ago,
              when we were hand printing on actual tax forms and then photocopying them for clients to
              mail in, and working till 8 pm many nights and on Sundays... sigh; smile.
              It's SO nice these days, esp not to have to wait till 6 pm tonight for some lost sheep to
              finally show up. And to fax form 8379's back and forth.

Started to call this "T" day, but think "D" day is better. "deliverance day", "Dee last day!",
              whatever.

Many years on April 16th at the office, I felt somewhat like the prisoners' released from their underground cells in Beethoven's Fidelio, who stumble out into the Spanish prison courtyard blinking at the bright sunshine.

Anyway, congratulations to all who made it safe and sane.

Extra ChEAr$$$$$ today!
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I had a client call; we are back from vacation, when can we come over and sign?

Next week.

Comment

The High Holiy Day

Would you believe that the LAST client to come in this year for me to prepare NOT ONLY his and his wife's return -but 6 kids with 5 kiddie taxes - WAS a dentist - a married couple - BOTH of them dentists.
                  The four oldest children - cashed in US Savings bonds - each had 5 digit interest income - with parents in the 28% rate bracket.
                  What a pain in the tooth?
                  Before I gave him the tax bill - I should have offered him novacaine.
                  Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I'd love to do taxes for a dentist

First thing I would do is over schedule his appointment time and make him wait a half hour. If he complains we would just tell him we had an emergency which has thrown our schedule behind. I would then hire a paraprofessional to do the interview/prep work and charge 5 times the bloated pay scale of the paraprofessional. Lastly I would come in the last 5 minutes and look over the tax return and point out several problem areas that need attention soon and have my assistant schedule future appointments, Add my inflated rate to the bill. Since there is no insurance I would expect payment in full before leaving. Did I forget to mention I would make the dentist fill out his own reminder cards for those next appointments?
                    Last edited by veritas; 04-15-2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X