new baby ss # not matching irs file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new baby ss # not matching irs file

i have two returns rejected for the social/name not matching the irs file. both are new babies in 2007. has anyone had this problem?

SS Card

Did you actually see the childs social security card?

If the name appears on two lines, the last name is the name on the second line.

If the last name is hyphenated, you must enter the hyphenated name.

If you did not actually see the card, then who knows? The parents must have given you inaccurate information.

Gary

Comment

new baby ss#

i did not see the cards but personally know both familes and confirmed the name and ss. could it have something to do with how many months they lived in the home? one was only 3 wks old at the end of the year and one was 6 months old.

Comment

Match or missing?

My best guess is the information, especially for the "newest," has not caught up yet. You could have the correct information, but just nothing to match it against. (Depends upon how IRS defines "matching.") Of course, as Gary mentioned, nothing beats seeing the real Soc Sec cards.

Unfortunately, you may have to use Plan B (file on paper instead).

Although this should not be an issue for SS matches, I seem to recall through the cobwebs that for a newborn (in 2007) you list "12 months" for lived in household, even if the bundle of joy arrived the last week in December. You might want to check on that one.

FE

Comment

If the children are born late in the year it's probably a case of whenever the IRS processed the info from SS those children weren't yet in the SS computers. Paper file this year, should be fine next year.

Comment

Originally posted by floridagator View Post
            i did not see the cards but personally know both familes and confirmed the name and ss. could it have something to do with how many months they lived in the home? one was only 3 wks old at the end of the year and one was 6 months old.

Ask to see the cards, even if you know the family. As others have pointed out to you, one miss placed letter or hyphen can throw it off.

Comment

Working...
            X