Separated Couple Filings MFJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separated Couple Filings MFJ

Taxpayers separated at beginning of 2008 and brought their tax info separately to me to file MFJ. Now, being taxpayers are receiving a refund, however, wife wants me to put her attorney's address as the address that refund should be sent. Husband, of course, wants refund sent to his address; advised me that his attorney would be calling me on Monday. What is the best course of action??????

If I were filing

this type of return, I would not care what the lawyers wanted. Of course they each want what is best for their situation. I would require that I be provided with a letter indicating an address that the two of them have agreed upon and the letter signed by each of them. I really don't see how you can be protected otherwise.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Agree

I would make them agree upon an address or NO return. I would also do as the other person suggested and make them both sign that they agree upon that address, or NO return.

I have gone thru a huge problem this year with MFS or "Judge Ordered Married Filing Joint" and lawyers and different returns, etc.

Make them agree or give them their tax forms back and tell them to hit the road.

Comment

Not Me

I would give them back their tax information and tell them to go elsewhere. Why get caught in a potential legal fight.

Gary

Comment

Why not ELF and direct deposit 1/2 into each others account....???
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Bob,

Now that is a good idea!!!! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X