Record of 2007 estimates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record of 2007 estimates

Is there any way to find out how much a taxpayer has paid in estimates? My client had back surgery and is pretty loopy on pain meds and has no idea how many she sent in and right now could care less. I could guess and take the consequences, refund or tax due. How long would it take for IRS to get back to us?

I think that every case

where I have seen the IRS complain about a discrepancy between the ES claimed and the ES of which the Agency had records, the letter came in the summer after the return was filed. Not sure if I have seen cases where the taxpayer claimed less than was sent in. I have had cases where the taxpayer had canceled checks for more than the IRS had recorded.

You could try the IRS Practitioner Priority Line to see if his record of Estimated Payments can be called up. The number I think is 1-866-860-4259.

Comment

The only way that I know is through E-Services. If you are registered to use this, you can get a 2848 from the client, register it on the system, and then access their account information. Our state (IL) has a section on their website to check payments with just the SS# and name, but not Federal.

Comment

I once had an elderly client with multiple family members "helping". We could only find records of two estimates being paid so it was filed with about 4K estimates on the return and another 4 K due. As it turned out she had used the coupons we printed and tow of the IRS coupons she received later and had paid in 12K. She received a huge refund!

Comment

IRS does refund it

If they send more than they claim, the irs does refund.

Comment

Easy Way

Call the IRS. They will tell you. I've done it.

Comment

Client info from IRS

Originally posted by Gary View Post
              Call the IRS. They will tell you. I've done it.
              Are you sure???? I did not think the IRS would give anyone but the taxpayer, or a duly certified/POA-able person, any information except when related to a previously filed return with your name/ID on the return.

I know I ran into this issue with a state return (client was in a coma). My final telephone question was "Can you merely confirm that Mr. X DID pay $Y in estimated tax for last year?" (I had a very specific dollar amount from some/all? of his records.) The answer was "I cannot tell you."

FE

Comment

Response not Clear

It's true. The taxpayer needs to call to get the information. My point was that the information can be found. If the taxpayers gives the IRS responder permission to speak to the tax preparer, they will usually provide the information to the tax preparer.

Comment

Working...
                X