Yikes - Checking Account Now Closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes - Checking Account Now Closed

A client filed early this tax season - efiled and had their refund direct deposited. Since then, they have closed that account. What should they do now as far as the stimulus rebate is concerned. Is there a way to let the IRS know that the checks should be mailed, or deposited into a different account?

Your client is not the sharpest crayon in the box.

First thing, talk to him and perhaps to the bank to make sure the account really is closed. Sometimes accounts stay open a while in order for the last checks to clear and if it is still open it can perhaps be arranged for it to stay open long enough to catch his refund.

I believe that if an account is truly closed, then the direct deposit bounces back to the IRS and they eventually issue a paper check. However, you will want to confirm that for your client. You can do this by calling the Practitioner Priority Line which according to another thread on this board is 1-866-860-4259.

Make sure you get paid appropriately for the service you are providing. Some outfits build this sort of thing into the preparation fee but I personally choose to charge for each service. I probably would not not charge for a fifteen minute call to the bank or for talking to him about his problem but I do charge $25 if I resolve in one phone call a problem with a taxing agency that in not of my making.

Comment

That happened to clients of fellow EA

She says she called the IRS and they told her that if the client calls them like "NOW" they can switch it to a paper check, I think she said the deadline was April 13th...don't quote me though...and that was in regards to the stimulus checks...

Comment

The IRS website

verifies what Erchess said -- it's switched to paper if the bank sends it back to IRS.

Comment

Working...
        X