Extensions for our returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extensions for our returns

How many of you are filing extensions this year? My wife and I have never had to file one before, but we'll have to this year. I had our LLC return about 75% done in Mid-March and then the phones started ringing off the hook and hasn't stopped yet. I would have done a poll on this, but I don't know how. Maybe some enterprising soul will start one on my behalf.

always extend

I always file an extension on mine. I'm too busy doing my client's returns.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
      I always file an extension on mine. I'm too busy doing my client's returns.
      No. My husband is always on me to stop and do ours the first week-end of March (or even early than that). He is my worst client. To ask difficult questions, hurry up and mail, talking and not listening, but I got to love him. HE COOKS!!!!
      SueBaby

Comment

I haven't' filed my personal or business return before October in over 30 years. And I don't intend to change that practice. Same for at least 25 of my clients.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I used to file on extension

But then I decided it was good therapy to do it early. I have an 1120S and a 1065 in addition to my 1040. It forces me to get everything caught up for year end so I can put off my bookkeeping till the end of April.
          In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
          Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

In the past yes but not this year, I came first...

I had some hefty tax credits coming so I decided to get mine completed asap w/o teeing off any clients and man does it feel good. In past I either waited till the last days or filed an extension.

Comment

I used to get mine done in early february, but in the last few years have gotten tied up in one thing or another. Last year it was all done, but i just knew if I took the actual on the phone tax credit I'd get more..and since I had a big capital gain, i needed all the help I could get.

I think its ready to go; just needs a few tweaks (like I found out I could take LTC insurance as SE health) and the money is in the account to pay.

Comment

Me too

I for year have filed an extension, paid some money with the extension, and don't file usually until October.

I guess I will just continue that pattern, I have way too much to do for clients between now and April 15th. I am only thinking about how much I need to send with the extension payment. Besides that payment then gets credited into the 4/15/08 estimated which I also do not have time to prepare on my own return.

Sandy

Comment

Aw crap, I just got it done, and it got rejected. The file is so big it takes forever to open and create and save etc. And I thought I was done (with me at least..ignoring the pile of client extensions to do)

Comment

More Extensions

I almost always extend my own, and definitely this year. But, I need to file extensions for A LOT of clients. I'm glad to spread the work out more. But, I used to be with Block, so clients were trained to think they had to file by 15 April. Some are being very gracious, one I have to do complicated calculations to get him a good amount to send with extensions, and some just brought me their information too late to stand a chance of completing their returns by Tuesday. It's my first year on my own, today was the fourth funeral I attended during tax season, I changed software last minute so am slowly going up the learning curve, still training my family to stop bugging me when I'm in my home office, had a sinus infection, and everyone's returns keep getting more complicated. I love my new software and know next year will be more under my control. But, I'm going to spend all day Tuesday filing lots of extensions!

Comment

Like a plumber with a leaky sink...

Hubby is self-employed and just can't seem to get his paperwork in order until the last October minute, so we extend every year. I have to spend some bit of time scrounging around in his truck and out in the garage looking for receipts. He is one of my toughest clients

Comment

Already filed

My husband would come in my office and sit at my desk and say "I'd like to get my taxes done." EVERYDAY.....once or twice a day. So I got it done in February.

I have about a dozen extensions. Some last minute clients with stock sales that their basis will take research so they will get extensions.

I have got a lot done this week though. I started the week a little (lot) stressed out about the week ahead, but it has gone better than I thought. Still have a lot to do this weekend.....only 4 days left.

Linda F

Comment

My ex is on extension. I just efiled mine. now I have to write the check...OUCH!

Comment

Me

I don't know about the rest of you, but today, I've said prayers all day long, as I am under such pressure I've not been under before. I'm doing the best I can, which is all we can ask for, but today, I feel I need a divine spirit watching over me.

Not preaching to the board, just telling you about my day!

Dennis

Comment

Hallelujah!!

Done, Filed and Paid. I always do mine first as we have a c, an f, interest stock sales (sometimes), ssa and retirement. I do it on paper and mail it in so that I get a feel for where everything flows before I start doing my client's return thru Drake. Just a habit I have gotten into and probably will continue to do. I found that it gets harder for me to think about where everything "flows" if I do not do this.

I too am a sole practioner and in my 60s and a cancer patient. I am now old enough to take the clients I want and to turn down those I do not care to deal with. I have done roughly 200 individual returns, 25 corps and partnerships, got 12 extensions and have 2 gift tax returns to file so season was good. Would like to perhaps pick up another 50 or so personal returns but no biggy if I don't.

Have a young lady who posts my books, does my billing and assembles all the returns and does all the filing. Works like a charm (mostly!)

HOW DO YOU SPELL RELIEF?

A P R I L 15TH

Comment

Working...
                              X