X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow John

That was super nice of you.

Comment

I paid one where I made a mistake on a client's daughter's return, and it rejected because she had been claimed by parents (luckily I filed their's first), so when I reran it as dependent she owed a few bucks to CA, and it was april 14. So I just paid it.

Comment

You know it wouldn't be a bad idea for software to put in a review message suggesting you check if this person is a dependent when they meet all the dependent tests that can be tested based on info entered (which would limit it to age primarily, but could save a few of those "sent kids return first forgot to check box now gotta mail parents" issues. In fact, I think I'll put in that request to my software tomorrow. Base it off age (under 19 flags all) and income (anyone less than exemption amount). Unsure how to handle the 19-24 age range where income wouldn't do it alone. My software doesn't mark whether the taxpayer is a student so can't get into it that way.

Would have to be one of those "caution" style warnings that you can ignore if you wish.

"Warning: If taxpayer can be claimed as a dependent on another return check the box dimwit!"

Think they'll go for it?

Comment

Taxwise actually pops a message up when I enter a the dependent's social security number to start their return. It warns that they have been claimed on another person's return. I think this was just added because I don't remember last year.

Comment

Working...
          X