TRX Pro help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRX Pro help needed

Only my second question on how to make something work in this program.
    I got the K-1 I was waiting for, and am trying to put it in the return. It's from a trust. I've got the K-1 worksheet open, and filled in the info, but it won't flow thru to the E or 1040. I'm at a total loss on how to get on the E. It looks to me like I've got everything in right. What's the trick to this one? Thanks, Cathy

Schedule E

It should flow to page 2 of Schedule E. If there is nothing but interest and dividends, it may just go directly to Schedule B and omit the Schedule E.

Comment

What doesn't work?

I got the K-1 I was waiting for, and am trying to put it in the return. It's from a trust. I've got the K-1 worksheet open, and filled in the info, but it won't flow thru to the E or 1040. I'm at a total loss on how to get on the E. It looks to me like I've got everything in right. What's the trick to this one? Thanks, Cathy
      I just tried with ordinary income and capital gains, and they flowed thru. What specifically isn't working?

Don

Comment

Well, I deleted the form, and opened it again. Now it's working OK. I think my computer wants to go on strike! Thanks for helping, tho. Cathy

Comment

Oh the K 1 Input screen

note that many line numbers have small stars after them. The stars mean that numbers on these lines do not flow anywhere on the return. What I do is enter them anyway and then go put them wherever the instructions that came with the KI tell me to. I should note that K1 instructions can be confusing. One source of confusion is that to say the least not every client brings you all the instructions. Also there are potentially two sets. One set is written by the IRS and is required to be sent with every K1. The problem is that for some lines the IRS instructions simply tell you to see the instructions provided by the preparer.

It may interest you to know that CS Ultratax, which is arguably the best program out there, also has some numbers on a K! that flow nowhere. They are also clearly indicated. I would not say they are more or less numerous than those in TRX but they are different lines. I happen to know better what to do with the lines that Ultratax makes me carry around than I know with the lines TRX makes me carry around.

I have a Pay Per Return copy of Ultratax precisely because there are things about TRX that are irritating if you happen to be working on the right or should I say the wrong return. I am looking closely at ditching both for next year and going exclusively with Drake or exclusively with Crosslink. The main reason for this is that while I would never approach a tax season with only TRX, Ultratax has features that I personally will never need such as an 1120POL for Politicians and Political Parties, and a 55000 which is used when a group of corporations files a consolidated return.
          Last edited by erchess; 04-11-2008, 02:55 AM.

Comment

I think the TRX K-1 system is up for a revamp. Enough bugs that aren't being fixed that they must be waiting for something.

Pretty much any of the lines marked by an asterisk that need to go on line 28 of Sch E cannot be entered at all.

Comment

Working...
            X