Have you noticed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you noticed?

That people that OWE does not want to OWE you either? That is what I am up against this LAST week of this. They are mad when they leave. Hopefully so mad I don't have them for next year!
    SueBaby

Nope

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
    That people that OWE does not want to OWE you either? That is what I am up against this LAST week of this. They are mad when they leave. Hopefully so mad I don't have them for next year!

Not my clients at least. usually they have an idea they owe when they arrive. We sit down,
    work out the numbers, print out the return, they sign it (or take form 8379 home for other
    spouse to sign), they pay me and out the door. Smiling. thankful they didn't owe as much
    as they imagined.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

All about expectations

I like Harlan's approach - make sure they know how much you SAVED them when telling them how much they owe. It really is all about managing expectations, and it's best to stay slightly negative until you have all the facts.

In unknown or ambiguous situations, look for the things that can cause the tax to skyrocket and point them out to the client right away (before you begin any substantial work). Then when you tell them they only owe $10K instead of $12K (or $40K instead of $60K) they feel a little better about it and are more likely to appreciate what you are doing for them. The fee almost becomes an afterthought in situations like that.

After all is said & done, if they don't appreciate your efforts, you're better off without them. Let them pester HRB or JH.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
      X