Mortgage Interest Deductability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage Interest Deductability

Taxpayer has a main home secured by main home mortgage . Taxpayer jointly owns a vacation home which was inherited. Taxpayer takes out a mortgage to buy out the joint owner and also takes out an additional $ 50,000 to make permanent improvements to their main home. My question, Can the $50,000 be deductable as Home Mortgage Interest against the main home? If, the $ 50,000 is taken as Home Equity debt he will have gone over the $ 100.000 ceiling by $25,000. That is the reason for my question , Can the $50,000 be dedutable as Home Mortgage interest against the main home.

Yes, probably

If the new $50k was used to make "substantial improvements" to the T/P's main home ... i.e. his "qualified residence" ... it is acquisition indebtedness and fully deductible as such (subject to the $1,000,000 limit). (Code ยง163(h)(3)(B)(i))
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

I think what he/she is asking is if they can take the whole loan of $50K off as interest, the answer is no b/c it's not interest. Only the interest paid on the $50K is deductible.

Comment

Working...
      X