Bio diesel plant patronage dividends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bio diesel plant patronage dividends

TP has purchased stock in a bio diesel plant. He is receiving 1099 patronage from them. He is a farmer, but buying stock shouldn't make that taxable, should it? Is it a reduction in basis? Should I put on Sch F as dividend, but not taxable? I feel it should be listed somewhere.

Patronage Dividends

This sounds like a cooperative to me. Patronage dividends are paid to member/shareholders of cooperatves based on purchases from the co-op. It sounds to me like the farmer is buying fuel from the co-op. Some co-ops (ie Southern States) have retail operations where anyone can walk in and purchase, but to be a "member" and participate in dividends you must buy stock. Some co-ops may issue additional shares based on purchases in lieu of cash. If this is indeed a co-op, then the dividends are taxable and reported on schedule F. This is assuming the purchases were for fuel used in the farm operation, and not for personal use.

Comment

The taxability of this is if he is buying something he's taking a farm deduction for. It is a coop, but if he isn't buying anything from this coop, then it won't be taxable?

Comment

Patronage Dividends

By definition (Farmers Tax Guide), a patronage dividend is a refund. You must make purchases or sales to the co-op. to receive one. If you owned stock in a co-op but had no transactions, I suppose you could get a dividend, but it would be an ordinary dividend, not a patronage dividend. Either way, they are reportable as taxable income.

An additional thought. He could be selling grain to the co-op, in which case he would be getting PATR's, or per-unit retain certificates, either of which is reported as above.

Comment

Working...
        X