Sales Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Tax

Is the sales tax deductible on a travel trailer. They are using the interest for this on their second home. The law states sales tax paid on a home(manufactured home or mobile home). thanks for an answer.
    Pookie

I would say yes. You take it on an auto, truck, RV, mobile home. Anything like that that charges sales tax.

Linda F

Comment

From what I read, I would think so.

LT
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

The only thing you need to be concerned on this is that the sales tax on the trailer must be exactly the same as the general sales tax rate. So if normal sales tax is 8% and your state only charged 3% on travel trailers none of it would be deductible. That is usually what happens with sales taxes on homes, it ends up being nondeductible because the rate is different.

Now if it were a motor home instead of a trailer it would be deductible no question asked. There is an exception for motor vehicles (and a few other items) that you can deduct the sales tax even if it isn't the same rate. If it's more than the general tax rate you can only deduct upto the general tax rate (WA for example has something like a 0.3% extra sales tax on motor vehicles which is not deductible, though the rest is.)

Comment

Working...
        X