Parntership follow up question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josh, I talked to Karen Black @ Atlas

She insisted and was very confident that K-1 box 13 code I should flow to Part 2 of Sch E under "nonpassive income and loss" column and flow to Ln 17 front page as a negative amt.

My software currently shows the amt in box 1 of K-1 in Part 2 of Sch E but under "passive income and loss" in column f (loss allowed K-1). How about yours?

I suggest you call her @ 800-251-0171 Ex 3150. I am curious what you think.

Comment

Box 1 and Box 13 are different amounts on my client's K-1

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
      She insisted and was very confident that K-1 box 13 code I should flow to Part 2 of Sch E under "nonpassive income and loss" column and flow to Ln 17 front page as a negative amt.

My software currently shows the amt in box 1 of K-1 in Part 2 of Sch E but under "passive income and loss" in column f (loss allowed K-1). How about yours?

I suggest you call her @ 800-251-0171 Ex 3150. I am curious what you think.
      I have a gain in Box 1 of $1505 and an amount of $50,000 (original investment) in Box 13 with Code I. I will give her a call.

Thanks!

Comment

Josh...I got my software to display as Atlas says...

I have a box that ask if they "materially participated" and when I checked it, wala, the amounts appear in part 2 of Sch E under non passive and the amount on Ln 17 of pg 1 of 1040 equals an amt between the positive number on K-1 13/I and the negative number on 14/A. This is my client first year in this partnership which I understands makes difference from those that are not in the partnership for the first year.

I plan on having my client sign a document excluding me from any penalties and/or interest regarding this deduction. Also, my client brought in completed K-1's for NY, WV and PA.

My software vendor says I need to file those states as non resident. I emailed Karen Black to get her opinion.

Comment

My Box 1 amount is in nonpassive income

but the box 13 amount is not going to the Sch. E in any column. I'll call her after my next appt. and see what she says.

Comment

My research has led me to the determination that

the original invesment is either deductible in the year of the investment or amortizable over 60 months at the TP's discretion. I am amending the return to reflect the investment as a deduction against his W-2 income.

Learn something new every day!

Comment

Josh.....did you recieve my email?

Josh, in an email to you, I mentioned that I had my client sign a letter. Did you receive it? I attended Chris Bird seminar last year and he said you can never get enough signatures from your clients. CYA, CYA, CYA.......

Comment

Working...
              X