NY parntner K-1 form for AZ resident taxpayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY parntner K-1 form for AZ resident taxpayer

My client brought in a completed form IT-204-IP NY Partners Sch K-1. Do I need to file a NY non resident return for this taxpayer? I assume I will need to complete a Partner K-1 within his Federal return. What do I do with this NY form if anything?

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    My client brought in a completed form IT-204-IP NY Partners Sch K-1. Do I need to file a NY non resident return for this taxpayer? I assume I will need to complete a Partner K-1 within his Federal return. What do I do with this NY form if anything?
    If there is a profit, you need to file IT-203. If there is a loss, you may still want to file the IT-203 in order to maintain and elect the NOL carryforward for NYS.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

AZ, it looks like our clients may have bought the same investment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
      He also brought in an NY K-1 along with a WV K-1. He said that he signed a release for the partnership to file a "group non resident return" and that he didn't want to file for the two non res states. I told him similar to what Bob W said about retaining the NOL, but they were minimal and he didn't want the added expense. Since they were both losses we left them alone.

If you don't mind me asking, does the partnership have Atlas in the name?

Comment

JoshinNC.....yes its Atlas

Is this Atlas a scam?

Comment

No, not a scam

There are an oil and gas drilling partnership. Advisors sell them to their clients as ways to write off huge amounts on their taxes (as your client is saying) but the advisors aren't always up to snuff on the deductibility of the losses. I'm hoping someone else will chime in with a response on this one as both our clients were told the same thing but neither one of us can reconcile that with our knowledge of the applicable rules. Maybe Bees or one of the other "gurus" can help us on this.

Comment

Working...
          X