Incorrect day & month birthday but yet efiled accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect day & month birthday but yet efiled accepted

Any of you have this happen where you entered the incorrect day and month of a birthday which by way did not change his 12/31/07 age?

Efile accepted it. What can I expect if anything?

Only the correct year is necessary.

Comment

Wrong DOB

I had a client where I was off 10 years in his age and they accepted it for years. I caught it this year. I think they only match the name with the SSAN.

Comment

I had the wrong birth year for a child for several years and it was never an issue until this year when the taxpayer qualified for the EIC. I think they only match name and SS# unless there is something where the age is needed to determine a tax matter.

Comment

The birthday generally doesn't get transmitted on preparer filed returns. The taxpayers/spouses apparently does on various "online" tax returns (seems to be in the special 8453 and other efile auth forms for that kind of thing) so when they use turbotax online it sends it.) Also shows up on various state form images (MA Schedule HC for the taxpayer/spouse comes to mind.)

The year of birth does show up on the Schedule EIC for dependents, so you can get a rejection for that. Same with the 8839 adoption thing I think -- but just the year.

Otherwise you can have pretty much anything on there and it won't reject for that. Could reject if you have something wrong on the return as a result of an incorrect birthday though -- like child tax credit for someone too old, or EIC for someone with no kids who's not in the valid age range.

Comment

Working...
          X