Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital Loss

Client, owns personal residence

He decided to buy town house in 2005 (second house as an investment). Gave deposit but deal did not go through.

So he lost $5,000 in late 2005. He tried to get it back in 2005 & 2006. Can he deduct loss on 2007 return.

Can this be deducted as capital loss?

If deal did not go thru because he could not get financing, most contracts read that the deposit is non-refundable. This is to keep people from tying up a property who have no chance of obtaining financing while the seller loses other potential buyers. So he will not get a refund.

Not sure how to treat the money he lost.

Comment

I think you need to amend the 2005 return and report it as a capital loss, based on this:

Sec. 1234A. Gains or losses from certain terminations
      Gain or loss attributable to the cancellation, lapse, expiration, or other termination of - (1) a right or obligation (other than a securities futures contract, as defined in section 1234B) with respect to property which is (or on acquisition would be) a capital asset in the hands of the taxpayer, or (2) a section 1256 contract (as defined in section 1256) not described in paragraph (1) which is a capital asset in the hands of the taxpayer, shall be treated as gain or loss from the sale of a capital asset. The preceding sentence shall not apply to the retirement of any debt instrument (whether or not through a trust or other participation arrangement).

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
        I think you need to amend the 2005 return and report it as a capital loss, based on this:

Sec. 1234A. Gains or losses from certain terminations
        Gain or loss attributable to the cancellation, lapse, expiration, or other termination of - (1) a right or obligation (other than a securities futures contract, as defined in section 1234B) with respect to property which is (or on acquisition would be) a capital asset in the hands of the taxpayer, or (2) a section 1256 contract (as defined in section 1256) not described in paragraph (1) which is a capital asset in the hands of the taxpayer, shall be treated as gain or loss from the sale of a capital asset. The preceding sentence shall not apply to the retirement of any debt instrument (whether or not through a trust or other participation arrangement).
        Thanks but TP tried in late 2005 and 2006 but did not get it back. Can't I take a position that in 2007 loss is confirmed. Isn't that one has to be 100% sure about loss and try everything before assuming that he will not get money.

Comment

If you can confirm that the loss was incurred in 2007 - go for it.

Comment

Burden of proof here?

Would someone please explain to me the "fine line" issue here as to how the taxpayer establishes the intent to use the new house as a "capital asset," as apparently that is the crux of the matter.

I assume that for a personal residence the loss would not be deductible.

I assume that for a flat-out business rental (let's say an office building?) the loss would be deductible.

But a mere "second house"? It seems this might be a minefield, as proving intent would apparently be an issue.

Thanks for any thoughts or explanations, as I had a client raising a stink over a deposit loss on a new (replacement) home when for a myriad of reasons they backed out of the deal and then wanted to claim their "loss." They still are upset that I told them they could not.

FE

Comment

Working...
            X