truck driver expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

truck driver expenses

client is a truck driver and received 1099 misc from 3 different employers, he brought in a box full of papers, I saw it as a challenge and took on this truck driver as a client. So the question is does any one know where I can get information on truck driver deductions, and how does a self-employed truck driver operate. I don't want to make any mistakes. I know this is a very busy time for everyone so any help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Truck Driver Info

I have posted a couple of links for you that might assist you in starting and gathering your questions. I haven't reviewed them in great detail, but might give you a place to start.

I also found several truck driver forums I think I only posted one.

At layover.com truckers can apply for trucking jobs with our free OTR job match service.

So, I fired up the Turbo Tax, and I'm doing my rough draft of my taxes... Here's a few things: I didn't pay ANY estimated quarterly taxes for 2007....

Sandy

Comment

Is he leasing his truck, buying it privately, or own it outright? Lease payments are deductible as such, no depreciation. Buying it - interest and depreciate. Paid off - maybe depreciation left.
      Next is fuel, oil, additives. Repairs and maintenance, tolls, washes, taxes, they have a lot of different insurance they have to pay, fees and permits for travel, scale fees, cell phone, and internet is used for weather watch, so maybe he has a laptop for travel, ATM and comcheck fees, disposable cameras to record any damages, his CDL, most anything he needs to travel on the road for weeks at a time.
      His days out you get from his log books. His days out include expense for meals and incidentials. 3/4 day for days he leaves home and return days. Full days for all others, including layovers, figured at $52/day, with DOT limit of 75%. He might have motel expense at times.
      I know I'm forgetting some, but if you have a question about something, just ask.

Comment

Many have added such things as refridgerators, microwaves, etc. to sleeper area, GPS systems, safety equipment (hard hats, gloves, steel toe shoes for loading/unloading). Some have to hire local/contract labors to load/unload, pay commisions/fees for loads.

Comment

Send me your e-mail address. I have an Excel spreadsheet that may be a benefit. You can contact me at ClergyTaxes@aol.com

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X