X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sale-1/2 residence, 1/2 rental

I think I have a dilema & need help.
    Taxpayer bought home in 98.
    Rented out 1/2 of it from 2002 - 2005, at which time she got married, moved out & rented the whole house from 8/2005 - 5/2007 (less than 2 years).
    5/2007 she sold the house.
    So, she had lived in it from 1998 - 2005. That satisfies the 3 out of the last 5 rule. But, because it was a rental for 2 of the last 5 does that change things? Regarding the gain on the house & there is gain, can it be split down the middle - personal & rental?

Thanks, Sharon
    Sharon

We'll try to cooperate fully with the IRS, because, as citizens, we feel a strong patriotic duty not to go to jail.

Good news

Look at page 6-22 in TTB.

By the way the test for the exclusion is 2 out of the last 5 years prior to the sale.
    Last edited by veritas; 03-24-2008, 11:15 PM.

Comment

That is Good News

Thank You Veritas:
      I knew the exclusion rule - I was just emphasizing that the exclusion was more than met.
      However, am I understanding what I am reading? That depreciation taken does not get reported either???
      The gain on the sale was about $120,000 - so there is no taxable gain, even from depreciation??
      Sharon

We'll try to cooperate fully with the IRS, because, as citizens, we feel a strong patriotic duty not to go to jail.

Comment

The depreciation

is not excluded, therefore it is taxable.

Comment

Taxable depreciation

Thanks a bunch Veritas - Your guidance put me on the right path. Reporting the basis & selling price in the disposition area of asset entry it flowed to Sch D as it should. My software, ATX did the work & entered Section 121 Exclusion and the gain amount on the line directly beneath it.
          My next question: The accumulated depreciation amount flows to line 19 - Section 1250 - Net Unrecaptured Gain. Is this correct?

Sharon
          Sharon

Comment

Working...
          X