Any NAEA members out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeff501 View Post
    Sounds like the NSA really goes to bat for us.
    Jeff - Did you mean NAEA instead of NSA? Just checking since I know of, but am not familiar with the NSA.
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Aicpa

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
      There was an issues many years ago when CPAs were trying to eliminate EA from practice, other that personal tax returns.
      The Leviathan AICPA is not especially beloved by many practicing CPAs either, if I can believe what they tell me. Cater to the needs of the Big Eight and could care less if the guy hanging out his shingle on the corner stays in business or not. Oh, did I say Big Eight(8)? How many are left? A couple terrific CPAs/friends of mine got swept away in the AA/Enron scandal through no fault of their own.

I am thankful for the CPAs who post here. I was a student of GAAP long before taxes, and many times tax questions can be answered simply by consulting GAAP principles of realization and recognition.

Comment

Bob W

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
        I became a member in 1984 and like the magazine and what they fight for. There was an issues many years ago when CPAs were trying to eliminate EA from practice, other that personal tax returns. The NAEA put a stop to it in most states, I'm only aware of NY.
        Bob. I will be a newly minted EA in a few weeks as soon as I send in my application to the IRS. Where are the meetings on Long Island. It is not listed on the website. Thank you.....

Comment

Originally posted by drdino View Post
          Bob. I will be a newly minted EA in a few weeks as soon as I send in my application to the IRS. Where are the meetings on Long Island. It is not listed on the website. Thank you.....
          I think in the 20+ years I only attended 1. It is usually held in Hicksville or Farmingdale.

Where on the Island are you located?
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

NaEa

I'm in Manhasset. You've only been to one meeting. I have a general question I don't know if you know the answer. I am also a CFP and was curious about the CE requirement for both. How do you earn the EA credits without going to meetings? I see you can get CE's on self study, but only 12 or so a year. I was wondering if some CFP and EA Ce's are compatible.....Thanks

Comment

I'm in Manhasset. You've only been to one meeting. I have a general question I don't know if you know the answer. I am also a CFP and was curious about the CE requirement for both. How do you earn the EA credits without going to meetings? I see you can get CE's on self study, but only 12 or so a year. I was wondering if some CFP and EA Ce's are compatible.....Thanks
              CPE is partially done with a joint effort with the Nassau/Suffolk CPAs, EAs and the IRS in November. It is a 3 day program and I get 24 hrs. It is held in Woodbury. I also attend my tax/accounting program provider, Creative Solutions, for another 7. Sometimes I go to Katz tax seminars for another 8-12 hours. Then there is 2 hours through TTB for ethics.

I usually don't like "meeting" type CPE because there seems to be a lack of substance in the material, at least that is what it was like when I did go to them.
              Last edited by BOB W; 03-25-2008, 08:34 PM.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Naea

Thanks Bob. I will try out a meeting or two to see what its like. I will be joining by this summer! Where are you located?

Comment

Thanks Bob. I will try out a meeting or two to see what its like. I will be joining by this summer! Where are you located?

Ronkonkoma....................

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
                    Jeff - Did you mean NAEA instead of NSA? Just checking since I know of, but am not familiar with the NSA.
                    My bad, meant the NAEA. I was a member of the NSA (National Society of Accountants) for a year, nothing wrong with them but just didn't use any of their services.

Comment

joining up

Jeff, you may join NAEA online and everything will be streamlined.

that of course will get you to our NAEA Webboard (tm) quicker, too.
                      You'll find some of the same people there as here, except that over there
                      we use true names instead of screen names. But it is a closed board,
                      and there are no IRS types lurking about.

But don't let that scare you, we're a friendly bunch, even Jiggers and Uncle Sam.
                      (Not sure about taxmandan though)

Look foward to seeing your posts.
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

ah.

I was a member for two years. The national organization was fine but they required that I join the state organization. After two years of being a member my state organization STILL hadn't figured out I was a member even though I had contacted them repeatedly.

The third year (after I had quit) they called and demanded my payment and sent me to an invitation to a seminar that had been held a month earlier.

When I was studying for the exam I knew there was a problem there. When I emailed them a question about a state review course and local meetings it took 2 months for the President to return my email and when she did she said they avoided review courses and discouraged local meetings as it took resources from the state meet (singular).

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                          After two years of being a member my state organization STILL hadn't figured out I was a member even though I had contacted them repeatedly.

The third year (after I had quit) they called and demanded my payment and sent me to an invitation to a seminar that had been held a month earlier.
                          Just out of curiosity, which state was this?

LT
                          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Naea

For the record, a member need not join the state in which is resides/works, but may instead
                            join a state whose borders are contiguous thereto.

That is why although I am in Alabama, I am a member of the Georgia Association of Ea's.
                            After all, I DO work both sides of the river.
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Not a member of your state EA?

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                              For the record, a member need not join the state in which is resides/works, but may instead
                              join a state whose borders are contiguous thereto.

That is why although I am in Alabama, I am a member of the Georgia Association of Ea's.
                              After all, I DO work both sides of the river.
                              Harlan, can you point to a specific by-law of NAEA that allows this.

I tried to do that because my state society is worthless and I attend seminars in the next state.

I was told that I could join the next state's association, but I would also have to continue paying my state's dues.

I don't mind the mandate that I pay a state's dues if I get something out of it. I do object when I don't. And I don't get anything from my state.
                              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                              X