S-Corp./Health Ins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-Corp./Health Ins.

I am a little in doubt about reporting on 1120S.

Health Insurance paid by Corp. needs to be added to L. 7 and L. 7 should match W-2's, right?

Since the amount actually paid by Corp. doesn't quite match the amount reported on W-2 (because of Dec. paid in Jan.), wages reported don't match 1120S.

Am I doing the reporting right?

Not line 7

Gabriele,
    I would not include the health ins on the 1120S line 7 officers compensation. I would deduct it as employee benefits on line 18. The W-2 would have the health ins benfits included in box 1 wages, but not any other boxes (not FICA or Medicare). Then yes the health insurance can be deducted back out on the 1040 line 29. I would not worry about wages reported on the W-2's (W-3) not matching the 1120S wages, as there are several reasons the 2 may not agree (accrued payroll). Though it's a good idea to do a quick reconciliation of wages per 1120S to wages per W-3. Hope this helps.

Comment

The 1120S instructions tell you to report the health insurance on lines 7 or 8, and not on line 18.

Comment

I like line 18!!!

Thank you Bees Knees, I humbly admit I just learned something. I have never had a problem from IRS putting it on line 18 as that would be where it logically goes. Does anyone else out there put it on line 18, or will I have to change my procedure for the new year!!

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA
          Thank you Bees Knees, I humbly admit I just learned something. I have never had a problem from IRS putting it on line 18 as that would be where it logically goes. Does anyone else out there put it on line 18, or will I have to change my procedure for the new year!!
          FWIW, I've always included it in line 7 compensation for officers and line 18 for non-shareholder employees.

Comment

What IRS wants

Knowing now that IRS wants it on line 7, I will start doing such, thank you all.

Comment

W2 box 1 & 14

Originally posted by John of PA
              Knowing now that IRS wants it on line 7, I will start doing such, thank you all.
              Of course you know you add it to the W2 box 1 and box 14 then deduct it on the 1040 page 1.

Comment

Box 14, Good point

Good point, don't forget box 14, which is for information purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                X