Fax through e-mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fax through e-mail

I have a little experience with this, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

One of the limitations you need to be aware of involves the use of this service to send outgoing fax transmissions.

The service basically assigns a phone number to you that is a "virtual" fax machine. The whole idea is that the party on the other end is not using an e-mail fax system. The party on the other end has a traditional fax machine. So for them, it appears that you are using a fax machine, but you are actually sending and receiving through your e-mail account.

It's great for sending attachments. The system converts the attachments to images on the other end. But what if you need to send something that is actually a piece of paper that is sitting on your desk? How are you going to get that into your e-mail account in order to send it?

You have to scan it first.

So if you don't have a scanner, or the one you have is low quality, slow, or inefficient, this may not be the product for you.

Any service that is free probably doesn't meet sufficient standards for security in this business. And even if it does, you get what you pay for. If you are not paying anything, you have no recourse when the service shuts down, or becomes overloaded, or otherwise fails to meet your needs. I made similar comments about free e-mail accounts a couple months ago.

Still interested? Try the internet host Godaddy at www.godaddy.com.

You don't have to have a hosting account or a website. You can just sign up for e-mail fax service. They give you a dedicated phone number for incoming and outgoing fax that is linked to your e-mail account. It's a little cheaper if you choose a local phone number, but that means local for Godaddy--which means an area code in... well, I think it's Scottsdale, Arizona. For a little bit more money, they offer a toll-free number.

They charge about $12 per month for 100 minutes. On a local number, you use minutes for both incoming and outgoing faxes; with a toll-free number, you use minutes only on incoming faxes... I think.
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Fax

Thanks Burton more valuable information to consider. I am so glad you are posting on the Board, please continue for a while after 4/15/08. I know you always take a break and we don't hear from you for several months.

I am still investigating and also have asked my computer tech for his input on this. The internet faxing through email, from the little bit that I have investigated can become costly, not that my fax machine between purchase cost, toner cartridges and paper isn't. And if my fax machine decides to "bleep" such as what it did Friday nite, or "die", then I have nothing at all.

So looking for the alternatives.

My computer tech recommended adding a modem into my computer (that is scary as well) as it could also malfunction, but moving toward the paperless era, it is nice to think that I don't have reams of fax printouts, that I am scanning and then shredding, so that eliminates the cost of toner cartridges and extra paper, and the extra time scanning the fax documents that I have received.

So then moving forward utilizing the computer fax for outgoing and incoming, and then maybe an alternative of one of the free internet fax services as an alternate in case the computer fax malfunctions. Might work, I always like options and backups.

I am not sure at this point. Fortunately we were able to reset the fax machine Saturday and have it functioning again, so maybe I can put off this decision until after 4/15/08. Malfunctions on equipment drive me crazy in the middle of tax season.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
    X