PA Local Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PA Local Taxes

I know I asked this last year, but apparently didn't save the answer with my PA returns. I apologize. My son and his girlfriend now live in PA (I'm in CT). Which taxes can she deduct on her Schedule A?

County Tax
    Debt Tax
    Township Tax
    Property Tax -- I guess it just refers to a Tax Map # and is titled OFFICIAL TAX BILL
    Per Capita Tax

Thank you very much. And, this year I'll print and save your answers with their returns!

Hi Rita, you have three taxes listed that I think are related to owning real estate: the township, county & what you called property tax. Probably that is her school district tax. All three are "property taxes" and are deductible on federal. I don't know what a "debt tax" is- never heard of it around here. The per capita is discussed in pub 17, p. 146- not deductible. Hope that helps. PS- Ask as often as needed; gives the rest of us license on repeat Q's! Barb
    Last edited by BP.; 03-22-2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Agree with BP on this. I never heard of Debt Tax either. On a side note, I cannot believe how many returns I see that preparers take the per capita tax as an itemized deduction under "Other Taxes". Guess no one has bothered to research that to find out you cannot take it.

Comment

Thank You

Thank you, Barb & KBTS, too. Yeah, just guessing that her biggest bill to the local tax collector ($1,049.70) is what we in CT would call property tax, but there's nothing else called school district tax, so that's probably that one. It was on its own bill. The per capita also was on its own bill (was pretty sure that one is not deductible). Then, one bill had three: county tax, debt tax, and township tax. The debt tax is the smallest of them all at $27.56, so maybe it's safe to include it with its fellow bill mates of county and township and call it a property tax, too? The bill with the three of them also references assessed values of their one family dwelling, acreage, etc., so sounds like it's based on the value of the property...

I'm always so unsure doing other states, and CT is so small that other states are not a long drive away!

Thank you very much for your time and help.
        Last edited by Lion; 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X