Someone else using SS number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone else using SS number

Friend (non-client) called this eve. Folks received a strange package in the mail which they opened. It was the tax return of the bosses daughter with their address and SS number on it. Their question - what should they do? I am thinking it was a honest mistake on the part of the preparer since he prepared W2's for these folks and had their addresses and SS#'s. I suggested calling the preparer and informing him of the mistake. They tell me the boss is a shady character and feel that it may have been intentional. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Might not be a mistake

Daughter could have had her taxes filled out in earnest, with no mistake on her part or by the preparer. Client also may intend for the information to serve as a basis for "kiddie tax." or may furnish this for guidance as to whether he can claim his daughter as a dependent. Or it might have been inadvertently sent.

Of course, these are all benign explanations, and there are good chances that it could also be a sinister act.

I would call whoever I had to. Be interesting to know who actually had this thing mailed.

Comment

It was mailed by the preparer to the bosses daughter but to the wrong address

Comment

It was mailed by the preparer to the bosses daughter but to the wrong address

In that case I would contact the preparer and explain what has happened that the preparer can do what is necessary to make corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by HBurkholder View Post
          Friend (non-client) called this eve. Folks received a strange package in the mail which they opened. It was the tax return of the bosses daughter with their address and SS number on it. Their question - what should they do? I am thinking it was a honest mistake on the part of the preparer since he prepared W2's for these folks and had their addresses and SS#'s. I suggested calling the preparer and informing him of the mistake. They tell me the boss is a shady character and feel that it may have been intentional. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
          I hope it was a paper return, and not e-filed. If it is, it can be fixed easily. Call the preparer. I cannot imagine even a "shady" character trying to do this intentionally.

Comment

I'd contact the preparer.
            (When I contact him, I'd also leave out the part about hearing that the boss is a "shady" character).
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
            X