Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 1065, K-1's and State question

Hi,

Here's the background: I am currently a 21 year old college student. When I was 19, myself and a colleague formed an LLC for a company we were going to get off the ground. We have a TIN, formed the LLC in PA. We are recognized as a partnership.

Our business never even started, however, as our source of capital bailed. When we filed, we were "Effective Jan 1, 2006". The thing is, we never did any business AT ALL. We had no expenditures, no income, nothing.

I was advised last year that I did not need to file a 1065, K-1's, or the PA-65 form because of the no income/expenditures. For some reason, I was sitting on my couch yesterday and it just hit me in the head to double check on that. From my reading, I am just thoroughly confused about this, since difference sources (via google searches, etc) seem to be saying different things.

I'm pretty scared that I messed up, as I did not file last year. I don't want to be 25 and have someone knocking at my door trying to arrest me or something. So I guess here are my questions:

1. Should I have filed these forms (with all zeroes)? If so, should I have filed 1065 (and a K-1)? PA-65?
    2. If I should have filed those forms, can I correct the issue without too much headache? I'm willing to pay penalties, as I would obviously be in the wrong.
    3. Since my business was never even conducted, am I on the hook for filing a 2007 return even though our "Partnership Termination Criteria" (from 1065 instructions) were technically met the day we formed as an LLC?
    4. If I have to file a "late return", how do I go about doing that?

Any help I can get on this is very appreciated.

Edit: I never received any notices or anything in the mail from the IRS or PA about not filing, if that counts for anything.
    Last edited by HelpAppreciated; 03-15-2008, 03:49 PM.

Call the feds and the state and ask them to cancel your subscription to their service. Explain you never used the tax ID numbers they gave you, as no business was ever formed and no money ever changed hands.

If they want you to file returns with zeros on them, then file returns with zeros on them. I can’t imagine, however, they would want you to cut down more trees just to waste paper like that.

BTW, nobody is going to throw you in jail, unless you do something stupid like drink and drive, or sell drugs.

Have a good life college guy. I remember the good old days. It all goes down hill from here, so enjoy it while it lasts…

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
      Call the feds and the state and ask them to cancel your subscription to their service. Explain you never used the tax ID numbers they gave you, as no business was ever formed and no money ever changed hands.

If they want you to file returns with zeros on them, then file returns with zeros on them. I can’t imagine, however, they would want you to cut down more trees just to waste paper like that.

BTW, nobody is going to throw you in jail, unless you do something stupid like drink and drive, or sell drugs.

Have a good life college guy. I remember the good old days. It all goes down hill from here, so enjoy it while it lasts…
      Thanks for the input Bees Knees. I plan on calling them first thing Monday. I'll make sure to put one down for you on St. Paddy's day.

Comment

Working...
      X