job hunting expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

job hunting expenses

Client gave me a list of job hunting expenses for '07. He's was a highly paid pharmaseutical (spelling?) sales rep who lost his job due to major cutbacks in our area. He applied for jobs that were also in sales. I'm curious what you would allow of the following items client wants to deduct:

1) Resume Books: $27.84
    2) 3 Trips to Twin Cities (major metro area) for Interviews: 1129 miles. Meals: $89.77
    3) 200 Resumes: $74.87
    4) Printer/Fax Machine for home use: $489.31
    5) 12 Local Interviews: 179 miles
    6) Tires for the car: $398.73
    7) Car computer died while on the way to an interview: $839.17.

I know, some of these are humorous, but I figured we could all use a little laugh this far into the tax season.

Thanks for any input!

Job search

quote:

1) Resume Books: $27.84
    2) 3 Trips to Twin Cities (major metro area) for Interviews: 1129 miles. Meals: $89.77
    3) 200 Resumes: $74.87
    4) Printer/Fax Machine for home use: $489.31
    5) 12 Local Interviews: 179 miles
    6) Tires for the car: $398.73
    7) Car computer died while on the way to an interview: $839.17.

There is a description of deductible expenses listed in TTB 4-24. Travel, resume prep, standard mileage rate for auto mileage. Printer/fax no. Tires: no. Computer no.

oh, sp: pharmaceutical

papa

Comment

I agree with that....

I read that in TTB as well and thought that #s 4, 6 & 7 were the only items I wouldn't allow.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, it helps to have a back-up opinion. And thanks for the spell check (I went back and forth on the "s" or the "c").

~B

Comment

Working...
      X