Hoh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoh

Simple question. Just need confirmation.

Adult son, no income, lives with Dad pretty much all year. This qualifies Dad for HOH, right? I followed the chart, just don't trust myself.

Originally posted by Gabriele View Post
    Simple question. Just need confirmation.

Adult son, no income, lives with Dad pretty much all year. This qualifies Dad for HOH, right? I followed the chart, just don't trust myself.
    My understanding is if the childs income (adult or not) is under $3,400 Dad would get the HOH and Dependent deduction.

Let me say this is a week area for me but I am clear on this issue.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Qualifying Relative

Dad gets HoH filing status in this scenario if and only if he can claim a dependent exemption for the son.

And it sounds like he can. But technically...

If the son is not a full-time student under 24 and he is not disabled, then Dad can claim a dependent exemption for him only if Dad is providing more than half of his son's support.

And you didn't address the support issue in your original post.
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
        Dad gets HoH filing status in this scenario if and only if he can claim a dependent exemption for the son.

And it sounds like he can. But technically...

If the son is not a full-time student under 24 and he is not disabled, then Dad can claim a dependent exemption for him only if Dad is providing more than half of his son's support.

And you didn't address the support issue in your original post.
        You are right, I didn't address that issue but Dad paid almost everything. Thanks for the reminder though.

Comment

Working...
        X