earned income credit and a felon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

earned income credit and a felon

I thought in the past a felon could not claim eic. I'm not the felon but my client's son is and he will qualify for eic unless the felon applies. I tried a quick look but did not see it in my literature. Can anyone help.

Originally posted by CHARLOTTECMA View Post
    I thought in the past a felon could not claim eic. I'm not the felon but my client's son is and he will qualify for eic unless the felon applies. I tried a quick look but did not see it in my literature. Can anyone help.
    Only think that I read, is you can’t claim the Hope credit, if you have a felony conviction for possessing or distributing a controlled substance.

I haven’t read anything about EIC. Probably OK.

Comment

May be thinking prison income can't be used for EIC.

Comment

Prison Wages

Yeah, that's what it is.

But would prison wages be considered qualifying income for the stimulus payment?

Prison wages are extremely low. The question would be relevant if, for example, someone was in jail from January through October of 2007, got out and got a job, and had a regular W-2 with... well, with $2851 in wages.

And then a prison W-2 with $191 in wages...

Does this hypothetical taxpayer meet the threshold of $3000 for the stim payment?
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question and for each of your answers.

Charlotte

Comment

Working...
          X