IRS Says.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Says.........

When you mail a balance due check for your tax return be sure to put your SS # on the check and telphone #............Wait a minute, that check now contains your name, address, bank account info, telephone # and SS#. Anybody in the banking system now has more info than any other source on one document>>>Hello!!!! What is wrong here....

I try to make each balance due payment as a direct withdrawal. Most agree after I explain the problem.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Apparently

I am not as good at explaining things as you are. Most of my clients are paranoid about the idea of the Federal Government having a computer reach into their account and take money. They fully recognize that they must pay what the return I prepared says they must but they fear some future day when an IRS Employee may wish to enrich himself or may feel that the IRS is due money that it in fact is not due. On the other hand, I had never thought about the fact that your social security number needs to be on the check and I did not know that your phone number needed to be. Have you run into the objection I mention and if so how did you deal with it?

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
      I am not as good at explaining things as you are. Most of my clients are paranoid about the idea of the Federal Government having a computer reach into their account and take money. They fully recognize that they must pay what the return I prepared says they must but they fear some future day when an IRS Employee may wish to enrich himself or may feel that the IRS is due money that it in fact is not due. On the other hand, I had never thought about the fact that your social security number needs to be on the check and I did not know that your phone number needed to be. Have you run into the objection I mention and if so how did you deal with it?
      I run into objections all the time. But I say, if you are willing to have your refund deposited why would you object to a withdrawal? Most say, I want to make sure I have the money there when it is going to be withdrawn...

Many are using debit cards so they are used to withdrawal transactions, this is just another withdrawal and they say "Thanks that is a good idea".

Some are not willing under any circumstances........................go figure.......
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

What is the difference between you having access to that person's Name, Address, Social Security Number, Bank Account Number, and Bank Routing Number, vs. a bank employee having access to all of that information?

Bank employees already have access to your Social Security number. You gave it to them when you opened up the account.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
          What is the difference between you having access to that person's Name, Address, Social Security Number, Bank Account Number, and Bank Routing Number, vs. a bank employee having access to all of that information?

Bank employees already have access to your Social Security number. You gave it to them when you opened up the account.
          It is just that many more people in the banking system that will have access. Some of those people never have access to all that information.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
            It is just that many more people in the banking system that will have access. Some of those people never have access to all that information.
            I understand your point. However, I think people would be shocked to learn just how many people already have access to all of that information in the banking system, even when you do not put the Social Security Number on the check.

You would not think of stealing your clients information for illegal purposes. People who work for the bank are no different than you. They have morals as well.

If we are talking about a person who intends to steal the information, that person could very well be your CPA, or EA, or H&R Block employee just as easy as a bank employee. And if that person is a bank employee processing your check, a crook would certainly know how to push a few extra buttons on their computer to pull up your account information which includes your Social Security number.

I think you run a greater chance of having IRS screw up your payment not doing what they tell you to do than having someone in the system steal your identity. I’ve had to deal with lost payments before with IRS. Even after calling and having the person see the cancelled check with the IRS endorsement on the back, it can be a real mess and take some time trying to get their system to recognize the taxpayer actually paid the tax.

Comment

Agree with Bob W

I never tell clients to put their ss#, cuz I think it is unnecessarily risky. Only the tax form # goes on the check, and even that is skipped by many. In about 10 years preparing returns, have only had one mis-applied check for a client (a minor), and the issue was resolved easily after the IRS notice came. As long as the Treasury cashes the check, and you mailed it with the return or voucher, it is legally paid. Also, I always recommend the ACH debit rather than issuing a check, but about a third of clients still mistrust electronic banking, for no good reason.

Comment

Working...
              X