2106 Depreciation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2106 Depreciation?

Client bought a camper for work $33,000 had 4 states to go to work as a pipe fitter welder.
    Can I depreciate the camper on 2106? He has hotel, miles and meals before he bought camper. Always depreciate on other schedules but not 2106. Don't know if I can or not.
    SueBaby

Yeah.

You can depreciate a camper or equipment on a 2106. I've done it several times.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
      You can depreciate a camper or equipment on a 2106. I've done it several times.
      But for $33,000 and for how long?
      SueBaby

Comment

Treat as a light truck since the camper is built on the frame of a light truck. Also there should be a record of business use mileage and total mileage according to the IRS rules for computing business mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by gkaiseril View Post
          Treat as a light truck since the camper is built on the frame of a light truck. Also there should be a record of business use mileage and total mileage according to the IRS rules for computing business mileage.
          Thank you for your reasurance on this. I never put deprecation on a 2106 and it was pretty high . Now I will.

Called IRS and they said : that is a pretty good question--let me research====20 minutes later on the phone he said no because it was a recreational vehicle and for me to put it on the form for home business. Duuuuh! Who do we have there???? I told him a work camper to travel for his job as a pipe welder not for recreation and not a home business. If I took it off they would have lost over $2,000. So now after you people said I can I will. Thank you very much. Live and learn. I always have other forms to depreciate with people and never used the 2106 for that.
          SueBaby

Comment

No Finance Charge Deduction

Since this is on a 2106 you will not be able to deduct the business % of the finance charge for the purchase of the camper like on a Schedule C.

If you think the description will cause a problem, list it as a light truck.

Other items to consider, has there been any modification for tool storage?

Comment

Originally posted by gkaiseril View Post
              Since this is on a 2106 you will not be able to deduct the business % of the finance charge for the purchase of the camper like on a Schedule C.

If you think the description will cause a problem, list it as a light truck.

Other items to consider, has there been any modification for tool storage?
              Yeah, I did not think of that. Thank you.
              SueBaby

Comment

Working...
              X