Free File Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free File Program

Is IRS looking to put tax software companies out of business?

After some of the problems I have had with ProSeries lately, I'm thinking of checking it out for next year. Looks like I could save about a thousand dollars if I made the switch.

Any thoughts?

Worth A Look

It's worth a look. Don't like the idea of so much control in the hands of the government, but it's an established fact that the IRS has got the commercial tax software business eating out of their hands already.

Individuals can use IRS tax software free to file their own returns, should we be allowed to do the same?

From one perspective, it could put a stop to ever-upward spiraling software costs for our industry. From another perspective, it could very well be a Trojan horse. I have to be further suspicious of government software expertise and support. They don't seem to have expertise and support anywhere else where it is needed most.

One thing is for certain, if IRS continues with this, there will be blood in the streets and plenty of noise to be made in our industry about software. We've only begun to hear about it.

Ron Jordan

Comment

Take another look

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
      Is IRS looking to put tax software companies out of business?

After some of the problems I have had with ProSeries lately, I'm thinking of checking it out for next year. Looks like I could save about a thousand dollars if I made the switch.

Any thoughts?
      This is NOT the real IRS, and the URL betrays this commercial offering. (note the dot com)
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Click on the links for the "Privacy and Security" and the "FAQS" at the top of the page.

USER’S LICENSE AGREEMENT

This Agreement enumerates the terms and conditions pertaining to the use and limited warranty of 1040Now Corp.'s (hereinafter referred to as "1040Now") 1040Now Online tax return preparation and electronic filing product (hereinafter referred to collectively as the "Services"). ...

Should you have other questions or concerns about these privacy policies, please contact us:

1040Now
        P.O. Box 25099
        1011 S. 11th Street
        Philadelphia, PA 19147.

FAQS:

Frequently Asked Questions

1- Who is 1040Now?
        1040Now is an IRS authorized e-file provider who has been in the tax industry for more than 10 years. We are also a member of the IRS Free File Alliance.

Comment

Originally posted by gkaiseril View Post
          Click on the links for the "Privacy and Security" and the "FAQS" at the top of the page.

USER’S LICENSE AGREEMENT

This Agreement enumerates the terms and conditions pertaining to the use and limited warranty of 1040Now Corp.'s (hereinafter referred to as "1040Now") 1040Now Online tax return preparation and electronic filing product (hereinafter referred to collectively as the "Services"). ...

Should you have other questions or concerns about these privacy policies, please contact us:

1040Now
          P.O. Box 25099
          1011 S. 11th Street
          Philadelphia, PA 19147.

FAQS:

Frequently Asked Questions

1- Who is 1040Now?
          1040Now is an IRS authorized e-file provider who has been in the tax industry for more than 10 years. We are also a member of the IRS Free File Alliance.
          The IRS has authorised several e-file providers; I think this is the 2nd year they've been doing it. If it works, then we would have a successful and useful partnership of private & government.

Comment

Got the postcard in the mail today

The postcard says 'limited FREE accounts available', $4 for state return filing each, and this is only if you prepare 1,000 returns or less. Let's see, you're going to give them the only valuable asset you have, your client list, and trust that they won't pillage your business next year by stealing your clients. Seems like a reasonable risk for you to take with an unknown efiler who is a member of the IRS free file Alliance, which has been competing with tax professionals for some time now. I'll pass.

>>Don't like the idea of so much control in the hands of the government, but it's an established fact that the IRS has got the commercial tax software business eating out of their hands already.<<

Not all of them, my software company has never been a part of the free file consortium and refuses to compete against their clients, tax professionals, like Intuit, et al.
            Last edited by taxmandan; 03-11-2008, 02:16 PM.
            "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

It doesn't say but is client data carried to the following year or do we have to re-setup each clients the following year? Also it looks like 2012 may be a cut off year for this program?????
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

OK I’m a sucker. I thought it was from IRS. The postcard even had a picture of the Statue of Liberty on it. Notice their website even has the blue header across the top just like the IRS website.

Is it April 15th yet?
                Last edited by Bees Knees; 03-11-2008, 03:13 PM.

Comment

That website really should be reported. It looks to much like the IRS site.

Comment

comparison

Since most all of my clients file two state tax returns, Georgia and Alabama, at 4$ a pop,
                    I'm so much better off with my store bought software which every year brings forward
                    pertinant data.

Maybe some day when I move my office to home and have much fewer clients, it will
                    pay off.
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                    X