Excel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel

Not a tax question, but does anyone know the formal you use to get the total at the end? I have not used that in years and forgot. Thank you as always.
    SueBaby

totals in excel

I'm assuming you mean a column/row total
    In general =SUM(A1:A25)

replacing the correct cell location in the formula

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
      I'm assuming you mean a column/row total
      In general =SUM(A1:A25)

replacing the correct cell location in the formula
      YES, that is exact what I was looking for. I have played around it so long until I was going to manually add it and I knew there was a better way. Thanks Maggie appreciate it.
      SueBaby

Comment

Always multiple ways in Excel

Or you can click on the sigma emblem on the toolbar and highilight the range, then click on the sigma again. Saves a lot of typing when the cells are adjacent. You can also use the "Fill Handle" to repeat the total entry for adjacent columns or rows. Excel always gives you numerous ways to accomplish most tasks...
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
          Or you can click on the sigma emblem on the toolbar and highilight the range, then click on the sigma again. Saves a lot of typing when the cells are adjacent. You can also use the "Fill Handle" to repeat the total entry for adjacent columns or rows. Excel always gives you numerous ways to accomplish most tasks...
          ANYTHING that can save me time====I am all for it. Thanks.
          SueBaby

Comment

I've been using Excel for many years and it amazes me how it's always possible to discover something new about the program. I made a discovery this morning that I want to share on this thread, although I may be the only person in the Excel universe who didn't know this.

For a long time, I've been looking for a way to dock the worksheet tabs on the left side of the page similar to the option ATX provides for docking forms on the left. I could never come up with a solution. (I wanted this feature because when I have more than a half-dozen tabs, it's cumbersome to scroll left & right to choose the right tab - especially when jumping back & forth among several tabs which are far apart).

Today I was looking into it again and discovered a work-around. If you point to ANY of the navigation arrows to the left of the tabs and right-click, a list of all the tabs will pop up. You can then left-click on the tab for the worksheet you need to jump to.

Now if you already know this, you'll wonder why my head has been buried in the sand for years. Feel free to laugh. But if you didn't know this, you'll find it a very handy feature with multi-sheet workbooks. It's not as handy & useful as the Fill Handle (nothing is), but it comes close.
            Last edited by JohnH; 07-03-2009, 07:57 PM.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Always Learning

Wow! Thanks John for a great tip. I've used excel since it first came out, and have many extensive spreadsheets with lots of tabs. I've even taken an online excel classes, but I never knew of that shortcut. Sure makes excel even nicer!

Thanks for taking the time to post that,

Mike

Comment

Mike:
                Glad I could help out. And thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who didn't know about this. Like you, I've taken many Excel classes & I use/study the program constantly, but I had never run across this. The closest thing I had discovered was to set up an Index as the first sheet in the workbook, but that seemed pretty tedious.

Makes me wonder how many other subtle features there are in Excel - little time-saving gems just waiting to be discovered.

Comment

Excel

Thanks, John. That's a handy hint.

And, Sue, you can hit the Sigma while in the cell where you want your total; it will suggest a range that you can leave as is or "pull" to extend with the slanted arrow or you can highlight your own range or type it inside the parenthesis; then click Enter.

Comment

Very nice, indeed. Excel is a fascinating program and I have taken classes. But if you don't use what you learn it's forgotten rather fast. I often wish I had more time or whatever to just play around more. But enough is enough, I mean sitting at the computer.

Comment

Here's a good resource for Excel users, and it's just one of many. Interesting how often just clicking on something at random will reveal a new, useful feature. And occasional visits to Excel user groups will often turn up interesting information. For an experienced user who just wants to gradually improve their skills, occasional tips discovered "on the fly" are often as productive as classroom time.

Last edited by JohnH; 07-06-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you, John. I've bookmarked the site.

Comment

Don't know if you guys want this (it can be dangerous) but there is a program out there for removing the password protection on spreadsheets:

Just be careful.

Comment

My latest find in Excel

is the pivot table. I used to use the subtotals feature a lot, but it ended up requiring a lot of extra steps to get a subtotaled list to look the way I want it. Now with a pivot table, I just use the wizard under the Data menu, and can select each column of data and what to do with it. I have to total orders for a client's customers based on Excel data, and this takes about half a dozen steps out. Play around with them - they're great!
                            "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
                            Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Working...
                            X