statute of limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

statute of limitations

My client has an overpayment of taxes in 2003 which is being applied to 2004 taxes, if I file his 2004 tax return after April 15, 2008, can I still take in account his 2003 tax overpayment, or he may loose it because it's more then three years?
    Last edited by kay; 03-10-2008, 02:21 PM.

I think he loses it.

Comment

It should be treated just as any estimated payment or withholding paid for 2004. He will get credit.
      Last edited by Burke; 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Of course, if he has a refund on the 2004 return he would lose that.

Comment

Originally posted by kay View Post
          My client has an overpayment of taxes in 2003 which is being applied to 2004 taxes, if I file his 2004 tax return after April 15, 2008, can I still take in account his 2003 tax overpayment, or he may loose it because it's more then three years?
          It depends on what type of payment created the 2003 overpayment: if it was created by withholding, or a refundable credit, then that overpayment is barred for refund and offset - to 2004 or any other year. If, however, the overpayment was created by a socalled subsequent payment of taxes, then the TP has two years from the date of the payment to effect refund, and any offset would be automatic.

Comment

Working...
          X