Christmas Bonus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Bonus

Taxpayer is employer who gave $100 to employees for Christmas gift/bonus. I asked if he added as supplemental wages to the employees W-2's and his answer was no. What is the best way to handle at this point? Should I list this expense under a payroll expense even though it was not handled properly?

Unless a turkey, etc. it is my understanding that cash bonuses must be payroll.
    JG

Comment

At this point; only at the

point of a gun am I correcting all those W-2s/reports. What about "employee benefits" (line 14) on C? It'll fly (I've flown it).

Comment

Christmas Bonus

Thanks Black Bart - I know that the bonus SHOULD have been added to payroll, but unfortunately, the taxpayer did not handle the correct way.

Comment

When one of my business clients does this, I just treat it as a net profit distribution. They have all been warned many times of how to give a bonus. To me it is just a personal gift.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

We sometimes

add it to the payroll for the following year.

Comment

Working...
            X