Deceased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deceased

Deceased taxpayer had an investment account in a living trust, that held a portfolio of bonds with "Survivor's Option".

According to the Survivor's Option (Death Put) To exercise the Survivor's Option, most of the bonds must be held for at least one year from the original date of issue. If the beneficial owner passes away prior to the one-year holding period, the deceased's estate must hold the notes for the remaining time period before the Survivor's Option may be exercised. The beneficiaries must exercise the survivor's option before they take possession of the bonds, as the bonds must be held in the "deceased holder's account" for the survivor's option to be applicable. (can not be transferred)

Upon t/p death an administrative trust was opened. Cash accounts were transferred but none of the bonds with the Survivor's Option.

Brokerage house issued a 1099 INT, 1099 DIV and 1099B, all under the t/p SSN#, even though there were transactions after the date of death.

Normally we would take the statement and allocate the period up to the date of death to the taxpayer's final return, and then allocate the period after to the Trust form 1041 return.

Based on the Survivor's Option, and requirement of being held in the deceased account, is all of the interest, dividends and proceeds allocated to the deceased taxpayer's final return. No allocation and reporting to the Trust account?

Thanks

Sandy

Survivor's option

Sandy,

No one got to your post, so I thought I would take some time today and see what I could find for you. There is not much out there to find. What I was able to find was how to set this up, before the fact. Seems like you need an answer after-the-fact??

Were you able to find something since yesterday?

I am sorry I came up empty-handed!

Dennis

Comment

Thanks

All I have learned is that the bonds/notes have to stay in the decedents account due to the "death put". Doesn't help me on the tax reporting.

All liquidations and calls on the notes/bonds and all interest earned and accrued have all been posted to the decedents account by Schwab.

Thanks for bringing the post back to the top.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
      X