Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
    Here is an ethical question for you:

Al Capone walks into your office and wants you to fill out his 1040. He hands you a W-2 from McDonalds. You recognize his face with a newspaper article claiming the FBI is trying to tie Capone in with the recent Muggsy Malone bank robbery as a partner in crime.

You ask Capone if he has any other income besides the McDonalds W-2 to declare. He says he got an additional 2.2 million running an illegal gambling joint, 1.7 million in contract killings, and 3.5 million in various bank jobs. He tells you nobody sent him a 1099-Misc for that money. Does it need to be reported (as he starts to reach for something inside his sport coat pocket)?

What do you do?

A. Prepare the return only reporting the W-2 income from McDonalds.
    B. Insist that the illegal income must also be reported on his return.
    C. Refuse the engagement.
    D. Wish you had kept your mouth shut about any additional income.
    C for me .................................
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
      Nobody said illegal aliens were not required to file tax returns.

The question is, why are you filing a return for an illegal alien? Would you have allowed Al Capone to hire you to file his return? You don't see any possible conflict of interest with your ethical requirements as a professional?
      Yes, both are entitled to have a tax return prepared by a professional within the scope of the IRS and state laws reguarding tax preperation. Both are entitled to professional and compentant legal representation by an attorney no matter what their perceived imigration status or pending criminal charges.

Comment

If Al Capone

came into my office I would be very polite.

Comment

Working...
        X